Fly Tying
flytire

super chicken

Can't be too old ... the feathers would be chewed up, worn tips, etc.

Of course, it was a joke anyway.

About a year old would be when the first set of feathers got nice, but they make new feathers every so often. Half my hens are molting now. The roosters would be tough before fully matured though. That is why they invented 'chicken and dumplings' and a pressure cooker helps.

I've eaten chicken, a lot of chicken. Back in Indiana, we regularly got chickens from friends and neighbors. I'd bet a month's pay that many of them were more than a couple years old.

I've never eaten "tough" chicken. I can only guess that it takes a true connoisseur to feel/taste the difference.

Beautiful feathers AND dinner ... that's almost dreamlike !!!

I don't know about eating them. They look pretty old and chickens that old are pretty tough.Joe
Nothing is tuff done @ 225° for 8 hrs.

What amazes me is he can hold them...I’ve been messed up by roosters twice in my life they are mean and territorial.

I had an uncle the worked for an egg producer. When the hens quit laying the birds were sold to Campbell's. Everything is tender when put in soup.

I grew up in Ohio about 20 minutes from the Indiana, Ohio border near I70. I remember many a chicken getting slaughtered in the back yard. Some of those old roosters were down right mean.

In Hawaii, the losing chicken at the cockfights would go home with the winner.

We simmer them with green papaya which has a natural monosodium glutamate.

Delicious with marungay!

Kimo

Chickens need protein, too. They don't know they're being cannibals. Many chicken and turkey ranches feed the "left over" parts of birds back, albeit in pellet form.

As I understand it, eventually, all animals that eat there own will contract some form of spongiform encephalopathy.

Chickens need protein, too. They don't know they're being cannibals. Many chicken and turkey ranches feed the "left over" parts of birds back, albeit in pellet form.

As I understand it, eventually, all animals that eat there own will contract some form of spongiform encephalopathy.

I think commercial chicken and turkey companies use grains. Humans can get "mad cow disease" from eating cooked diseased animals AND the research suggest that if chicken and turkeys ate infected parts of even PROCESSED COOKED animal parts they would get infected and transmit the disease to humans that ate the chickens and turkeys. So I think commercial chicken and turkey companies use grains to prevent spread of what would be "mad chicken disease."

The disease is caused by prions, an abnormal protein that cannot be destroyed by standard cooking or processing. Remember that as far as these diseases go they are different than bacteria, viruses, or even cancer. Remember, “You can’t kill what isn’t alive.”

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/prions/

”You Can't Kill What Isn't Alive:

Prions cannot be destroyed by boiling, alcohol, acid, standard autoclaving methods, or radiation. In fact, infected brains that have been sitting in formaldehyde for decades can still transmit spongiform disease. Cooking your burger 'til it's well done won't destroy the prions!”

Several squirrel hunters in Kentucky have died from eating squirrel brains.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/29/us/kentucky-doctors-warn-against-a-regional-dish-squirrels-brains.html

”Doctors in Kentucky have issued a warning that people should not eat squirrel brains, a regional delicacy, because squirrels may carry a variant of mad cow disease that can be transmitted to humans and is fatal.

In the last four years, 11 cases of a human form of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, have been diagnosed in rural western Kentucky, said Dr. Erick Weisman, clinical director of the Neurobehavioral Institute in Hartford, Ky., where the patients were treated.

''All of them were squirrel-brain eaters,'' Dr. Weisman said. Of the 11 patients, at least 6 have died.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prion

”Prions are misfolded proteins which characterize several fatal neurodegenerative diseases in animals and humans.[1] It is not known what causes the normal prion protein to misfold; the abnormal 3-D structure is suspected to confer infectious properties. The word prion derives from "proteinaceous infectious particle".[2][3][4] Prions composed of the prion protein (PrP) are hypothesized as the cause of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs),[5] including scrapie in sheep and bovine spongiform encephalopathy(BSE) in cattle—known popularly as "mad cow disease”.

Can't be too old ... the feathers would be chewed up, worn tips, etc.

Of course, it was a joke anyway.

If you say so, Mike.

joe