Fly Tying
flytire

hmh trv review

hmh has a 9 inch stem and c clamp accessory so it should work with the trv

i'll let the professional writers post reviews. i wouldnt want to sound like a commercial for hmh

Well, so be it. I'm not interested in professional commercials, just in an honest appraisal from a user. I THINK I might want one, but I've seen negative reviews from Barry the Guide on an early version.

Arrived this morning - I was glad to see the shipping box was in good shape when it was delivered and not looking like it was used as a football. My first impressions are the machining and quality seem to be first rate with no sharp edges and the rotary is smooth. Like flytire I opted for the "granite" base after reading a review that said the polished bronze so reflective it was bothersome. I have a hard enough time seeing to tie as it is. I haven't tied on her yet but I did clamp a few different flies in to test the locking system and it worked well.

post-63811-0-02597900-1545235293_thumb.jpg

okay i said i wouldnt comment but......

1PSe1IJ.jpg

First reflections probably don’t mean too much but here goes

Fit and finish. Ill give it a grade A. All components are precision machined.

Jaw components have a smooth finish for being a cast component (supposedly).

Smooth rotation using the knurled knob.

Setup directions are pretty simple and to the point. Hook placement in the jaws a fully explained and if incorrectly done may void the warranty.

Convenient neoprene storage pouch included.

3 different sizes of Allen wrenches are provided. One too many in my opinion.

2-way adjustment. 1 from the stem and 1 from the main shaft.

Adjusting the rotary tension is qiute easy.

Jaw has 3 grooves for positioning different sizes of hooks. No groove for tiny hooks. Fitting hooks in the groove can be tricky.

Silver vein finished base is non-glaring and heavy enough for my tying style

Jaws hold the hook securely with enough tightening of the four spoked knob.

The four spoked knob could use more rounded corners.

For the $495 price tag, it would have been nice to have a bobbin rest and material clip included. A bobbin rest is available from HMH for $33.

Jaw angle adjustment screw is on the far side. Why not on the same side as the four spoke knob. (just nit picking)

The large knurled rotation knob should be drilled to accept a brass rod to provide finger rotation similar to HMH Spinner vise (you get used to finger rotation aft using a renzetti traveller for so many years)

me0wllC.jpg

Back to the price. The TRV vise is based on the Standard/Spartan chassis. The only things that are different is the rotation knob, main axle and jaws.

I have only tied a couple of flies on the TRV vise so these comments may be different after a couple of months tying with it.

I bought this vise to try something different. Merry Christmas to me smile.png

okay i said i wouldnt comment but......

1PSe1IJ.jpg

First reflections probably don’t mean too much but here goes

Fit and finish. Ill give it a grade A. All components are precision machined.

Jaw components have a smooth finish for being a cast component (supposedly).

Smooth rotation using the knurled knob.

Setup directions are pretty simple and to the point. Hook placement in the jaws a fully explained and if incorrectly done may void the warranty.

Convenient neoprene storage pouch included.

3 different sizes of Allen wrenches are provided. One too many in my opinion.

2-way adjustment. 1 from the stem and 1 from the main shaft.

Adjusting the rotary tension is qiute easy.

Jaw has 3 grooves for positioning different sizes of hooks. No groove for tiny hooks. Fitting hooks in the groove can be tricky.

Silver vein finished base is non-glaring and heavy enough for my tying style

Jaws hold the hook securely with enough tightening of the four spoked knob.

The four spoked knob could use more rounded corners.

For the $495 price tag, it would have been nice to have a bobbin rest and material clip included. A bobbin rest is available from HMH for $33.

Jaw angle adjustment screw is on the far side. Why not on the same side as the four spoke knob. (just nit picking)

The large knurled rotation knob should be drilled to accept a brass rod to provide finger rotation similar to HMH Spinner vise (you get used to finger rotation aft using a renzetti traveller for so many years)

me0wllC.jpg

Back to the price. The TRV vise is based on the Standard/Spartan chassis. The only things that are different is the rotation knob, main axle and jaws.

I have only tied a couple of flies on the TRV vise so these comments may be different after a couple of months tying with it.

I bought this vise to try something different. Merry Christmas to me smile.png

I agree with each point- However in the video you posted at the start of the thread he does say that one of the allen screw holes in the rotation knob is threaded to accept a rod.

Does your vise have the threaded hole?

I'm away from my vise but I'll look when I get home.

The least HMH could have done was to provide the rod.

33 seconds into the vid Gunnar states that the hex screw slot can be used for a rod. I'm thinking the screw is there only to keep debris out of the threads?

post-63811-0-54368100-1545324418_thumb.jpg

yup i found it on my vise but none of the provided allen wrenches fit the screw. its a #10-32 screw thread per jon at HMH

HNZJ0zr.jpg

and another on the end

3YhZcjH.jpg

Honestly, I am not trying to raise hackles or ruffle feathers (puns intended), but what does this vise do that makes it worth $500.00?

Especially, as you put it flytire, it doesn't actually come with all the bells and whistles?

Hi Norm,

On the other thread about this vise, novabass posted this note about it.

I just wanted to post real quick about the new TRV from HMH. Even though I'm a bit biased, because I work for HMH, I've had a chance to tie on the TRV and I really enjoy it. The jaws hold hooks extremely well and the largest hook I was able to place in the jaws was a 2/0 thick saltwater hook. The smallest hook I have around here is an 18 and it held it with ease.

The large brass handle might be underestimated if you have not used it. To me, it is great to be able to place my hand on the handle to rotate the vise instead of trying to take two fingers to rotate it with a smaller knob. Having said that, there is a hole drilled in the end and HMH is working on a smaller knob that will thread into it and allow you to use a different handle for rotating.

Regards,
Mark

Could the hefty price tag be because it is made in the USA and not outsourced to other countries? I believe it is hand machined and requires lots of labor and time. The fact that it is simple, extremely well made and practically perfect in fit and finish may just be "bells and whistles" enough.

Joe