Fly Tying
breambuster

Ultralight/Panfish Jig Swap

JohnW1986, no yours look like 1/64 to me. I need to make some 1/32 for my personal use, but it’s been a while, and I couldn’t remember what size hooks to use for 1/32. I have a mold that makes, I think, 5 or 6 sizes, so I have Jig hooks in several sizes.

BB

I participated today in the funeral of the man who made the picture of me that I’m using as my avatar. John was a good guy. He served at least 2 (maybe 3) tours of duty in Vietnam. Machine gunner. Exposed often to Agent Orange. Died from Parkinson’s. Connection between Agent Orange and Parkinson’s??? He was a good friend. Vale, John.

Condolences. A hero. A lot of Vietnam vets starting to pass. That is sad. They often had it tough.

Vicente, just send in what you have. If you have several sizes available, lean to the smaller sizes.

BB

That's my plan BB I think I might have a dozen smaller ones left from the last jig swap if I can find them.

Well, been awhile. Recovery from a shattered Femur is not fun in any sense of the word. Lots of hurt and like any broken bones the torture rack they call the x-ray table to get the shots they need is it's own form of hell. At least Doc says everything still in place and good healing has already begun. Dealing with hip and pinned up Femur is not made better in that when I went down I misaligned my knee in the twisting crash and since that's bone on bone I can't consider replacement for 6 months minimum for rest of healing to be completely behind me. So my wading days may be over but at least I should be able to fish in boat or shore in a month or two. I got one of those cool 4 wheeled walkers with brakes and a seat in front to shore fish for catfish at the local ponds anyway.

So, on to jigs. I found that sitting in my tie chair is very uncomfortable now but I did go through my stash and found a decent supply of tied up jigs. These are Competition barbless jig hooks in smaller sizes. They are a simple but effective tie of the universal Wooly Bugger design in small sizes that should be equally loved by gills and trout. If you're not a purist hang a small strip of Josh Fly Rod Pork Rind on them and double the crappie takes. While digging around I found a foam strip with some jig and bead nymphs I'd tied for myself and added those to the WBs so depending on sheer luck you'll get an orange or olive WB with a 14 or 16 bead head jig hook Copper John, Prince Nymph, or generic tie.

As everyone keeps telling me, Vic, don't rush it. Large bones require time to stitch and heal. If you rush things and interrupt the healing process ... it's just going to take that much longer.

Good luck ... doing nothing is really hard to do. Only one more week for me, and I should be released from the "do-nothing" part.

Thanks Darrell. Just a time thing now and have to keep from letting myself stagnate in the easy chair. Mike, I don't know how I missed it but just read the post about your episodes with the knife. In my case I have to keep some movement going in the joint and the bad alignment between the ankle on one side makes walking with the walker a careful trip to keep my left foot from tripping over my right heel since the foot splays out a 45 degree angle. On a better note fishing is not generally a contact sport so we should both be back in the game before too much longer.

Since the grandaughters arrive today for the summer I hope to at least get some time with them out by the lakes. Maybe I can tap some of the energy they seem to have in abundance and heal faster.