Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

What system do you use to identify what fly line is on a reel?

My method is super simple and requires nothing. On my 5 wt I have 5 wt WFF line. On my 6wt I have 6wt WFF line and so on. I don't get into double tapers or the myriad of other lines and or configurations. Being simple minded has its benefits. If I were to complicate things, I like silvercreeks suggestion and would simply reapply the sharpie every now and again. If it worked for lefty it would work for me.

many years ago you could buy plastic sleeves that went over your fly line with the line identification imprinted on it

example: WF-5-F

FYI: For anyone needing to Identifying a particular line weigh.

AFTMA Standard Flyline Weights (in the first 30 feet)

• 1-weight; 60 grains
  • 2-weight; 80 grains
  • 3-weight; 100 grains
  • 4-weight; 120 grains
  • 5-weight; 140 grains
  • 6-weight; 160 grains
  • 7-weight; 185 grains
  • 8-weight; 210 grains
  • 9-weight; 240 grains
  • 10-weight; 280 grains
  • 11-weight; 330 grains
  • 12-weight; 380 grains
  • 13-weight; 450 grains
  • 14-weight; 500 grains
  • 15-weight; 550 grains
Grain weight - Using the chart above, you can determine what the original "weight" of a flyline was according to the AFTMA standard upon which the entire flyrod/line balance system is based.

When you see that a company calls a flyline a "6-weight" but it weighs 172 grains that is is actually a 6.5wt, or if it weighs 185 grains, you'll know that the line is actually a 7wt line.

That will tell you that the line will load your 6wt rod deeply with a shorter length of flyline head outside of the tip guide, because, for example, a 6wt flyrod is supposed to load with 30 feet of a 6wt flyline weighing 160 grains in the first 30 feet.

So, if the flyline weighs more than the rated weight in the first 30 feet, it will load the 6wt rod with less than 30 feet outside the tip.

This makes the rod more capable of moving larger flies with less false casting, but can also reduce delicacy of presentation and even distance somewhat.

I was just thinking, "If only there there was a chart that would tell me how to tell what weight my fly line is" and poof there it is. Thank you fshng2. You be da man. Just another example of how great this place is, and the people here.

You are welcome Mark.

Tjm you are correct my chart shows the target value for each line weight but does not include the tolerances.

A 7 weight would be between 177 and 193 grains.

The attached chart shows both the target in grains or grams including upper and lower tolerances.

This is for a single hand fly line, double hand or spey lines have different weight specs.

fly_line_weight_specs1_large.gif?v=14860

Only one small problem with those lovely charts... You're looking at the standards that were developed years and years ago... but nothing requires any manufacturer to follow them... Some manufacturers fudge things a bit - deliberately to give one effect or other - sometimes as much as half a line size. I figure that's not as prevalent in freshwater lines as it is in gear meant for the salt - but that's only an opinion since I'm not a freshwater type at all...

What I've just pointed out is why anyone with a new rod is well advised to experiment a bit with different line makes if they're not satisfied with the performance of the line they're using....