Fly Tying
Swamp Fly

Site Facelift?

Been using this format/template on another forum for a few years, on it in each post box there is a heart icon that when hovered allows one to react to the post with "like', 'sad', 'confused', or "thanks"- results of these reactions some how feed the leaderboard and add to the posters "reputation" points.  I'm not sure how that's all tabulated.

One feature y'all may like is highlighting a word or phrase in a post let's you quote just that word or phrase with out copy/paste or deleting a part of the quote. As in

37 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Thanks.

This will also notify Mark that he has been quoted.

Another is if you hover the user name or avatar you will get a synopsis of the user without going to the profile.

I find the immense white space distracting. It's impossible to single space  a line. but the old setup was broken, so here we go

Guest Pickin6ofem
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:55 PM, smalliehunter said:

I am actively working on speed improvements. Not much choice on the upgrade, the previous version was out of date and unsupported meaning the "license key" that enables anti spam features was gone. Which is why I had to disable registrations a while back. Either no new registrations or new version of software. I am looking into why the icons are missing...

Will,

Thanks for the update, much appreciated. I have always enjoyed this site and just jumped back and I am enjoying it again!

Thanks,

Justin

8 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Things are beginning to work well, and faster. Thanks.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.  

Kudos to Will for the time and effort.  

It's almost unusably slow for me. (As in takes about 30 seconds for a page to load.)   Most of the icons are back, but not all.

Is there some way of turning off the display of user profiles next to messages?  Many of them are longer than the messages.

I understand that it had to be done, but there are still kinks.

3 hours ago, redietz said:

Is there some way of turning off the display of user profiles next to messages?  Many of them are longer than the messages.

yes. just unpopulate the different field on your profile page like "gender" "location" "interests" "favorite species"

info.jpg

23 minutes ago, flytire said:

yes. just unpopulate the different field on your profile page like "gender" "location" "interests" "favorite species"

info.jpg

It's not mine that I want to turn off.

Several other people have long paragraphs about their interests, etc.  When they then post a one line response, I then have to do far more more scrolling than I would  need to if their profile wasn't displayed. (The machine/browser I'm on has a tendency to interpret rapid scrolling as a request to resize the image. It's a pita.)

1 hour ago, redietz said:

people have long paragraphs about their interests, etc. 

makes a lot of white space as I remarked above, as far as I know it's up to those users to edit as flytire suggests; but that display of profile stuff might be a feature @smalliehuntercould turn on/off or limit the lines shown.  

9 minutes ago, tjm said:

makes a lot of white space as I remarked above, as far as I know it's up to those users to edit as flytire suggests; but that display of profile stuff might be a feature @smalliehuntercould turn on/off or limit the lines shown.  

Most of the other forums/fora that I use have an option in the user settings about whether to display that or not.  I was surprised this one doesn't seem to.

In fact, there don't seem to any display options at all (like date/time format and time zone, etc.)

I mentioned this before.  The bio's featured left bar, create too much white space and constant scrolling.  Some forums I visit this info is available by hover or click on member name.  As selfish as it sounds, I really don't care about your gender or favorites.   If I am interested, I can check a profile by choice.  Name, avatar and # of posts or date joined is plenty for me.

3 hours ago, smalliehunter said:

I updated the profile section to remove gender and interests. I kept location and favorite species. Think those fields are relevant. 

It looks better. Thanks.