Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fshng2

What Ate This Huge Shark?

I'm not seeing anything in your post and my curiosity is peaked because Sebastian Inlet is part of my old stomping grounds.  There is a spot just off of the south jetty that is called Monster Hole every once in a while there is a reminder of why it is called that.  Then again in front of Spanish House, which is a few miles north of the inlet, a very dear friend of mine was in the line up waiting for a good set when a great white swam by.  He said it rolled over far enough so that it could give the guys the hairy eyeball as it cruised by.  Apparently everyone decided without saying a word that surfing wasn't that important that day and paddled in.

Swamp

Hi Swamp Fly, I just checked on my laptop (logged in) and phone (not logged in) and both are showing the picture.

About you friend, I would stay clear of that area.

Mark the other shark must have been huge. looks like two bites and down the hatch.

Nope still don't, but I'm a firm believer that when something isn't working right check the idiot using the equipment.  In other words it's probably on my end, might be a Firefox issue or my ISP protecting me from all the bad things out there.  Thanks for checking.

Swamp

I'm calling "foul" on this one!

That's a very well done fake.

I could be wrong, but if that's a "fresh kill", where's the blood?  If another shark bit it, where's the jagged edges to the wounds.  Sharks don't cleanly bit through that much flesh, they shake and "saw" through it.  Maybe an Orca, but we don't have those down here, do we?

I followed Nivekers link. Thanks.

Mike, with that box in the middle I think that is a commercial fishing vessel and not likely a net boat but rather a long liner.  Who knows how long that head was just sitting in the water before being hauled up, that would explain the lack of blood.  The "article"  said the head weighed about 100kg so about 220 lb.  I suppose that could be correct but I'm not so sure. With the perspective of the photo the head could be just about any size, the head is close and the person farther away.   To my eye it looks like three distinct half circle bites on the head so it may not have been that big of a shark that ate the rest, maybe even a number of sharks.  Given the way the piece was written and vernacular used I don't know how much I would trust any "facts" from it.  Still an entertaining piece and fun to think about in that horror movie kind of way.  It reminds me that there are very large creatures out there that could just about eat us without chewing.

Swamp

If you will look at the photograph closely, you will see that the guy is standing a good distance from the sharks head. This distancing makes the sharks head look much bigger than it really is. Notice you cant see the guys feet? That indicates he is most likely that he is 5-6 feet behind the sharks head,which kind of distorts the scale,making it look bigger.