Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Honest to goodness mammoth hair

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

I'm trying to think of our most ancient fish species up here. Most of them are pretty young. We don't have anything like Gar, snakeheads and paddlefish. I suppose the most prehistoric we have would be burbot.

Maybe a coastal shark would grab an eyed-baitfish, perhaps reverse tied to bulk it up with minimal material, adding some pearl-silver mylar strands.... hell, just send me material and we’ll take care of it right here, for ya....😎😎😎😎😎😎

On 4/25/2020 at 2:20 PM, Mark Knapp said:

Was that nice? Mike, two demerits cuz he wasn't nice.

It was just a thought. Hahaahha

On 4/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, DarrellP said:

Now that is over the top.  Mark, you win.  

Really.  This forum has some really great and interesting topics, and I enjoy reading and seeing the photos and comments, but its going to be near impossible to top the subject of this thread, Mark.  

And your ties look great.  They would never see the water if it they were mine, I'd keep them on display.  

On 4/25/2020 at 1:06 PM, Mark Knapp said:

This is my first attempt.

A woolly mammoth nymph on a size 14 hook.

The hair is somewhat wiry and translucent with some iridescence and sparkle.

How is it to tie with? Does it dub easily?

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Really.  This forum has some really great and interesting topics, and I enjoy reading and seeing the photos and comments, but its going to be near impossible to top the subject of this thread, Mark.  

And your ties look great.  They would never see the water if it they were mine, I'd keep them on display.  

I didn't know there was a contest but I'm glad I won. Is there some kind of cash prize or something? Maybe an exotic bonefish trip?😁

Thanks for your comments.

2 hours ago, samsonboi said:

Are there sturgeon in Alaska? Now there is a prehistoric fish.

No, we don't have sturgeon. That would be a challenge catching a sturgeon on a fly. Anyone know if it's been done?

1 hour ago, TSMcDougald said:

How is it to tie with? Does it dub easily?

It doesn't tie well. It doesn't really dub. I roll it up between my hands, like I'm trying get something dirty off there and then I kind of insert the thread. It's very course and no body has any business tying flies with it. It's kind of silly, really.

Oh, I just realized. You must be tying with a late season wooly mammoth fur, maybe from the back of the mature male. I've always found it helps to use the early season wooly mammoth pup fur, off the flank. It's a little harder to find, but well worth the effort.

😋

32 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Oh, I just realized. You must be tying with a late season wooly mammoth fur, maybe from the back of the mature male. I've always found it helps to use the early season wooly mammoth pup fur, off the flank. It's a little harder to find, but well worth the effort.

😋

Would you be willing to share some of yours?😁