Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies From the Vise

1 hour ago, TheCream said:

oOVDVbzl.jpg

TYiSip9l.jpg

I am drooling over that second one in particular... just so insanely good. How did you pack the hair that tight to the eye without crowding it, and how'd you cut it that smooth????

Thank you for the suggestion, I have tried tieing the grizzly tip wings and I cant get them right. I will give them a try again though 

30 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

I am drooling over that second one in particular... just so insanely good. How did you pack the hair that tight to the eye without crowding it, and how'd you cut it that smooth????

Set it on fire. Seriously. I flare a large clump of hair at the front of the hook, use a blade to cut it to a rough cube a little larger than the round head should be, then use a lighter to burn it. As it burns it will take a round shape. Once it's the size you want, hit it with a brush or scrape with your finger to knock the charred stuff off.

Ok, I had the same trouble until I tried this. First, put them back to back so they curve away from each other, pinch them in your fingers, and apply a small dab of head cement on the stripped part of the quill where they join, right below the bottom of the part of the feather that will be the wing. Blow on them lightly ,till the dab dries up. Then, keeping the same orientation, lower them onto the hook and lock them in with thread.

28 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Thank you for the suggestion, I have tried tieing the grizzly tip wings and I cant get them right. I will give them a try again though 

Just now, TheCream said:

Set it on fire. Seriously. I flare a large clump of hair at the front of the hook, use a blade to cut it to a rough cube a little larger than the round head should be, then use a lighter to burn it. As it burns it will take a round shape. Once it's the size you want, hit it with a brush or scrape with your finger to knock the charred stuff off.

Now that is innovation. Hats off to you.

12 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

Now that is innovation. Hats off to you.

Definitely not my idea. I have seen this on YouTube a while back, I believe it was for smoothing a hair body on a caddis dry fly. 

Philly had posted a terrific pattern for Bluefish. I tried to make a version of it with existing materials. It is 8” on a 5/0 hook. 

57E0A70C-C64D-41A4-83FA-EAD2E27A4AD0.jpeg

7 minutes ago, flytire said:

hackle tip wings

Thanks flytire, that's a great explanation and tutorial. As good or better than my technique. I'm gonna try this one out today.

5 minutes ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

Philly had posted a terrific pattern for Bluefish. I tried to make a version of it with existing materials. It is 8” on a 5/0 hook. 

57E0A70C-C64D-41A4-83FA-EAD2E27A4AD0.jpeg

👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

Dragonfly Nymph, Olive
Hook: TMC2499SPBL 6-8
Thread: Uni 6/0 -Olive
Eyes: Melted Mono 50#
Abdomen: Underbody - Furry Foam, Nymph Skin - Natural, Softex
Wing Pads/Wingcase - Medallion Sheeting, Olive Brown
Legs: Goose Biots, Olive, Olive CDC, UV Ice Dub, Lt. Olive

97012244_3271514196193199_12140141201525

Kimo

23 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Dragonfly Nymph, Olive

Kimo

That is a great looking fly! Is there a recipe for it somewhere?

16 minutes ago, TSMcDougald said:

That is a great looking fly! Is there a recipe for it somewhere?

Dragonfly Nymph, Olive
Hook: TMC2499SPBL 6-8
Thread: Uni 6/0 -Olive
Eyes: Melted Mono 50#
Abdomen: Underbody - Furry Foam, Nymph Skin - Natural, Softex
Wing Pads/Wingcase - Medallion Sheeting, Olive Brown
Legs: Goose Biots, Olive, Olive CDC, UV Ice Dub, Lt. Olive

Kimo