Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
imaxfli78

Whats a good rib....

Over some dubbing....for the body of a dry-fly to give segmented look and buoyancy?? A feather stem maybe????

Yes...all great suggestions.....thank you! Is that extended body drake above tied with round foam? That you bought like that or cut out of a block?

the video shows a flat strip of foam not a cylinder

cut a strip of from a sheet of foam

Kimo and a couple of others have showed some flies segmented by heating some hemostats and melting the body to form segments (I think) I've never done it but it looks good and doesn't add weight. I'd defer to the experts.

Kimo?

Ahhhhh....that foam with the extended tool.....kinda cool....all the foam I have seems much denser/harder than that stuff........is that a different foam than mine? Is there a way to "reply" to a speciic reply??? That Drake doesn't float on its side???  Hex hatch in Michigan! How do I get "bait fisherman" out from under my username...haven't used "bait" in 30 years!

17 minutes ago, imaxfli78 said:

Ahhhhh....that foam with the extended tool.....kinda cool....all the foam I have seems much denser/harder than that stuff........is that a different foam than mine? Is there a way to "reply" to a speciic reply??? That Drake doesn't float on its side???  Hex hatch in Michigan! How do I get "bait fisherman" out from under my username...haven't used "bait" in 30 years!

Hit the "Quote" button to quote someone. Bait Fisherman is the rank you have, when you have more posts it will go away.

Is there a way to "reply" to a speciic reply??? 

Yes. thats why theres a reply area.  just type the posters name and make your comment

post-reply.jpg

no need to quote every post. please delete photos if you do. no need to continually see the same photo ad nauseum

How do I get "bait fisherman" out from under my username

imax

you cant. its an insignificant silly part of the forum software and every new member gets that title. it eventually goes away after so many postings. not sure of how many, maybe 50?

the reply box has always been below the "quote" button. its not a new feature on this new forum software 

👍😀

21 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Kimo and a couple of others have showed some flies segmented by heating some hemostats and melting the body to form segments (I think) I've never done it but it looks good and doesn't add weight. I'd defer to the experts.

Kimo?

The segmentation you are referring to above is done with thread. There is even a wire form that you can buy from J:Sons with different sizes for the abdomen section.
https://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=108643&src=froogle&msclkid=98c2d44818bd111f25f78a8bf690780d

Detached_Body_Pins.jpg

You can also do the same thing with a heavy piece of mono. Just make sure you wax the wire form.

I have segmented foam and tubing with a heated pair of hemostats. I have gone as far as taking teeth out of the hemos to get the "proper" segmentation
proportionate to the material I am using.
It takes a little trial and error at first to get the right amount of heat. I started using a lighter at first but have gone to a alcohol burner because it burns clean
and I have two hands to work with.

Kimo

On 5/19/2020 at 7:41 AM, flytire said:

Is there a way to "reply" to a speciic reply??? 

Yes. thats why theres a reply area.  just type the posters name and make your comment

post-reply.jpg

no need to quote every post. please delete photos if you do. no need to continually see the same photo ad nauseum

How do I get "bait fisherman" out from under my username

imax

you cant. its an insignificant silly part of the forum software and every new member gets that title. it eventually goes away after so many postings. not sure of how many, maybe 50?

Where do you type the name???