Fly Tying
cheesetheboss

Selecting my first hackle

18 minutes ago, niveker said:

That, and boneless wings.  

👍🙂

On 7/6/2020 at 9:45 PM, Mogup said:

I agree with you Gene on the furnace hackle but I do find that they do tie up a pretty nice dry fly.

72E6E98F-2109-42FD-9290-627D83962BF5.jpeg

I had a brain fart which you cleared up with your photo.  I was thinking of BADGER hackle...a momentary confusion.  Never found much use for it, plus it's in a saddle and mostly in size 16 and less, mostly 16.  Why I bought it I don't know.  It's pretty, but pretty useless.  

Badger are a great hackle color for parachutes. The Conover is a old classic and was a favorite of Mart Dettes’s . When I was a youngster and fishing Cape Breton for speckled trout the Badger bivisible was a favorite of mine.

60BE4891-DC14-4F1D-8CC8-1CF5088B3202.jpeg

16E8DBE6-BA38-4A31-B546-7CA67F070AC8.jpeg

It's a shame Charlie doesn't work the shows anymore. You always got a great look at his excellent hackle and great deals. Plus he is a great guy who takes a lot of pride in his product. He is only happy if you the customer is happy.

One final thought...you will find the price tag for premium hackle...especially Collins...is well worth the expense in both quality and how much you get for your money.

George

I am thinking I will guy the 4 capes for $60 from collins to start then possibly buy whiting half saddles for whatever else I want down the line. Am I able to choose the colours of the capes I get from collins? 

Call Charlie Collins and tell him you are a new tier looking to get started by buying his capes he is a tier himself and a decent honest person, tell him what you are looking for. you are right George, (SalarMan). I am going to miss him at the shows he always had some of my money and I always had a smile.

You're not supposed to be able to choose the colors in the 4 for 60$ deal even so it's a great price, I did ask in the lettter/order form I sent him for a specific color on 1 of them and he included it and said he was happy to help.

1 hour ago, vicente said:

You're not supposed to be able to choose the colors in the 4 for 60$ deal even so it's a great price, I did ask in the lettter/order form I sent him for a specific color on 1 of them and he included it and said he was happy to help.

He’s updated his site and he does have the option to pick and choose your own colors. I think it’s a few dollars more. I still haven’t bitten the bullet and ordered from him. Tying time has seriously diminished so I can’t justify the cost (to the COO around the house) right now.

58 minutes ago, dflanagan said:

He’s updated his site and he does have the option to pick and choose your own colors. I think it’s a few dollars more. I still haven’t bitten the bullet and ordered from him. Tying time has seriously diminished so I can’t justify the cost (to the COO around the house) right now.

Yea he did when I ordered as well, I just requested 1 color so I think he was a little more accommodating than he would've been if I had requested all 4. It's a 5 ⁵$ difference per neck.