Fly Tying
haziz

Whip Finish Direction?

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

I think Ausies wind their flies backward 😁But it would be the whole fly, not just the whip finish.

You may want to just use half-hitches (in the same direction as the rest of your fly) then glue.

That's because their toilets flush in the opposite direction of ours(US).
They do the same thing with their blenders.

Kimo

13 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

Where did you read that (not that it's not a good idea)?  You can create perfectly usable flies without a whip finish or head cement--but they may last longer with a whip finish and head cement.   People were obviously tying flies long before there was such a thing as a whip finish or CA glue, they just weren't using flash.

I use CA glue in penturning- thin, medium, thick formulas. To apply to a pen blank, you have just a few seconds to apply before it begins to cure. Done it for several years.

13 hours ago, Kimo said:

That's because their toilets flush in the opposite direction of ours(US).
They do the same thing with their blenders.

Kimo

They are in the Southern Hemisphere. Bathtubs drain the opposite, too. Odd how that works.

1 hour ago, flytire said:

equation.jpg

All of the theory you need here comes out of the "Fundamental group" which in this particular instance is just about as simple as considering the wrapping a piece of string, or thread, around a nail, hammered into a board, or held in a vise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_group

The arithmetic already put forth:  w-t > 0 has meaning in this context (although the perspective of continuous deformations from "knot theory" doesn't hurt). There is no need for quantum mechanics.

Bill (Bill_729=Bill_3^6).

38 minutes ago, flytire said:

right!

If you have doubts as to whether I know what I'm talking about, feel free to test me (although I am better at "analysis").

Here's a fun problem I ran across recently, having a remarkably simple solution. It is less sophisticated than the question posed by the OP.   The shank of a hook is 3 cm long and the diameter of it's cross section is .2 cm. A piece of thread is wrapped uniformly from one end of the shank to the other with 10 revolutions.   What is the length of the thread that was wrapped (assume, for simplicity, that the diameter of the cross section of the thread is 0 when it is wound tight)?  This is at worst a high-school level problem; it is unnecessary to turn it into a calculus problem.  Enjoy!

2 hours ago, skeet3t said:

I use CA glue in penturning- thin, medium, thick formulas. To apply to a pen blank, you have just a few seconds to apply before it begins to cure. Done it for several years.

Cool hobby.  Your pens probably have  a (much) longer life-span than my flies!  Also, there is more at stake as I imagine that you give many of them away as gifts, or similar.

Cheers, Bill

i'm sorry if you were offended by my attempt of humor.

never did i say you didnt know what you were talking about

i will caution my responses in the future 👍

maybe one of the kids on the forum will participate in your math excersize

i'm too old for math games 😀

Aussie toilets do not flush in the opposite direction.  If they did, they'd unflush the poop.  Very nasty.

39 minutes ago, Gene L said:

Aussie toilets do not flush in the opposite direction.  If they did, they'd unflush the poop.  Very nasty.

"Pet Detective"
Sorry, "drain" in the opposite direction.😂

Kimo

3 hours ago, flytire said:

i'm sorry if you were offended by my attempt of humor.

i'm too old for math games 😀

No problemo, and no offense taken.  I have made it a priority to be active in math (whatever that means; I'm still "fighting the good fight").     And, you'd probably agree that you're never too old to use your brain, whether on math games, a crossword puzzle, or something else.   The problem I offered has a "cool" solution, but this may not be the right forum for it. It basically requires you to do a bit of geometry and recall the pythagorean theorem.  Now, if instead of the "length of the thread", I had asked for the length of a piece of a piece of tinsel, then it would have been a better problem...maybe..  ha!   Tight lines!

Bill