Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jamieofthenorth

Ismopuppan

Not out of bounds, no different then a popper(a lot of work forming the body I would probably use foam them coat it). looks like a productive little fly too. I don't know what fly is out of bounds but that is a topic that can open a bottomless can of worms.

Heck yea, I'd use it and not feel one bit guilty. The way I see it is, if I tied it and it works...Its a successful fly. Who gets to decide what's a "fair" fly to use anyway?

Great simple pattern.. The only drawback that I can think of is the one common to all balsa wood bugs - they're fragile...  In my world no matter how well something works - you'll quit using it if the first fish that bites trashes it... but that's generally true in most saltwaters...

8 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Great simple pattern.. The only drawback that I can think of is the one common to all balsa wood bugs - they're fragile...  

Yeah, they can be and don't take to puncture wounds or torque forces well either.  Making that bug out of PVC trim material, shaped or pre-cored, might be a better option.  Balsa is heck to work with at small sizes and not very forgiving of misstrokes of a blade or sandpaper.  Also sands rough for a #14 size body and requires a lot of gloss to smooth it out.  Nice shape, though...wboat.jpg.9397c773e332b1899c7d886d54b14831.jpg

if these currently accepted "squirmy worms" and "mop flies" are not out of bounds, then how can a chunk of balsa wood that actually requires some craftsmanship be out of bounds?

53 minutes ago, JSzymczyk said:

if these currently accepted "squirmy worms" and "mop flies" are not out of bounds, then how can a chunk of balsa wood that actually requires some craftsmanship be out of bounds?

I'm not sure, but I think he may have been asking if it is too much like a lure to qualify as a fly instead of how much skill it takes to make it. The lure/fly thing pops up once in a while.

I think that we are all of the opinion that it's just like a popper and is therefor not out of bounds. We'll allow it 😁.

14 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

I'm not sure, but I think he may have been asking if it is too much like a lure to qualify as a fly instead of how much skill it takes to make it. The lure/fly thing pops up once in a while.

I think that we are all of the opinion that it's just like a popper and is therefor not out of bounds. We'll allow it 😁.

Mark's right. FWIW, I don't think it's out of bounds, just wondering if others thought it would be though (I didn't think many would). I'm actually thinking of making a batch at some point before spring. 

The first fly I ever tied was called a Flutter Minn.  It was featured in a 3 page article in Outdoor Life back around 1973.  ALL of the materials were sheet aluminum (back then they used the bottom of soda/beer cans - the flat bottomed ones(!), a gold Aberdeen hook size 6-8, and white, black and blue model paint (the blue being optional.  Tools to tie were tinsnips and flat (needle nose) pliers.  No thread, no tying vise.

Since it was fished with a fly rod and used a strike indicator it was a fly to me.

12 hours ago, mikechell said:

All flies are lures ... but not all lures are flies.

Not all flies are flies, either...some are crustaceans, minnows, amphibians, etc.  Semantic crisis looming on the horizon.😟

Thankfully, the Ismopuppan is a fly albeit representing one in the pupal stage.  An emerging caddis!  Check it out...

https://www.edgeflyfishing.com/ipb/index.php?/topic/188918-en-undran/

Appears to be Scandanese or some language spoken even farther from Indiana so I can't read it, but a scroll through the pages of the linked thread are impressive.  Nice pics by Bobbilon on both flys and the actual pupa in water, these guys are huge into this concept.  Even the deer hair and foam versions are quite nice, but I'd wager the finished balsa gets the best SPLAT score.