Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fiveonomo

Tie a Nymph

I am going to pick up my new vice in the morning with tools and I am going to pick up some supplies as well.  I would like to tie a simple Nymph pattern and was wondering if anyone had a supply list so i would know what I needed to pick up.  My fly shop is going to help me out as well but I thought I would ask here too.  I feel pretty lucky to have my shop and then this forum.  Thanks in advance!

I am in the middle of my Beginner Swap series and the NYMPH patterns are due on the 15th.  Along with the flies the swappers tie I'm including 3-4 simple patterns that they may add to their arsenal.  Here is what I am including for easy to tie, few material, and proven fish getting patterns.  Also, the materials are "pantry" materials - easy to find/readily available/used in many other patterns:

Sawyer's Pheasant Tail Nymph (Davie McPhail's version)

Hook - Mustad 3906 or equivalent standard (meaning it's a standard hook length for it's size) nymph hook, sizes 14-18 (the smaller the number the larger the hook - I suggest a 14 for your first try)

Body - 3-6 fibers from the center tail of a cock pheasant (tails come in clumps or as singles or multiple singles - start with natural and then add black, olive, green, red  and orange later on)

Thread - fine copper wire (the original called for wire unwrapped from an old electric motor/generator - use the red copper color from Ultra-Wire as a nice substitute)

Sawyer's Pheasant Tail (PT) Nymph - unweighted (Davie McPhail's version)

Same as above but use a strand of metallic floss instead of the copper wire (gold or copper color) like DMC Precious Metal Effects - found in most hobby/sewing stores - look for the floss section and the metallics will normally be on the right side and will jump out at you!  Use a single strand not the 7-8 strand bunch.  Again, add colors to match the choice of tail fibers you use.  If you would like some weight use some lead/lead substitute wire in .015 or .025 diameter.

Jack Gartside's The Sparrow

Hook - Mustad CS53S or equivalent (I have used the same M 3906 as above but in larger hook sizes), sizes 4-12

Thread - 6/0 black, brown, or color to match (I like to use olive green to match the tail but I'd start out with black as a beginner (~85% of patterns call for black thread)

Tail - male ring-necked pheasant rump feather ( If you are going to be tying for any amount of time buy a Male Ring-necked Pheasant skin (tailed or tailless), it's the Swiss Army knife of the feather world and usually a lifetime supply of feathers for about $20!

Body - gray squirrel dubbing (or rabbit)

Hackle - that male pheasant again!  This time pick one from two sections up towards the head from the rump section - it'll have a brown outer edge

Head - a pair of filoplume feathers.  When you pluck those other feathers for the tail and hackle look at the underside of the feathers, you'll see a smaller, wispy feather attached to the stem - that's a filoplume.  One warning - filoplumes are VERY brittle at the top end, don't worry if it does break you'll still be able to tie the pattern.

I would HIGHLY recommend most any of Jack's patterns, go to jackgartside.com - his patterns are simple, proven and use a lot of those pantry supplies!

Check out videos on Youtube for videos on how to tie.  The pattern's above were taken from two of my favorite reference sites - globalflyfisher.com (the PT's) and flyfishohio.com (The Sparrow).

Hope this helps.

BTW, nice choice in a vise - same as my first SO MANY years ago!

Kim

1 hour ago, fiveonomo said:

I am going to pick up my new vice in the morning with tools and I am going to pick up some supplies as well.  I would like to tie a simple Nymph pattern and was wondering if anyone had a supply list so i would know what I needed to pick up.  My fly shop is going to help me out as well but I thought I would ask here too.  I feel pretty lucky to have my shop and then this forum.  Thanks in advance!

I think the two most popular nymphs are the pheasant tail nymph and the hare's ear nymph. The pheasant tail is a mayfly nymph imitation and the hare's ear can be taken as a cased caddis imitation. Neither is too difficult.

The PT has already been mentioned. here is the Hare's ear pattern.

https://www.flytyer.com/quick-fly-hares-ear-nymph/

One of the simplest patterns though is the $3 dip version of the Serendipity. This is actually an emerger rather than a nymph.

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/classic-video-how-to-tie-the-three-dollar-dip

Pheasant tail. Materials: hook and size nymph hook, go w/ an 18. Thread, any color, go with brown or black UNI 8/0. Tail/Body/legs: Pheasant tail fibers. Thorax: Peacock herl. Rib: Sm. copper or gold wire. Easy peasy. There must be about a million videos and tutorials out there.  

https://charliesflyboxinc.com/portfolio-items/pheasant-tail/?portfolioCats=1836%2C1837%2C1838%2C1839%2C1840%2C1841%2C1842%2C1843

3 hours ago, WWKimba said:

I am in the middle of my Beginner Swap series and the NYMPH patterns are due on the 15th.  Along with the flies the swappers tie I'm including 3-4 simple patterns that they may add to their arsenal.  Here is what I am including for easy to tie, few material, and proven fish getting patterns.  Also, the materials are "pantry" materials - easy to find/readily available/used in many other patterns:

Sawyer's Pheasant Tail Nymph (Davie McPhail's version)

Hook - Mustad 3906 or equivalent standard (meaning it's a standard hook length for it's size) nymph hook, sizes 14-18 (the smaller the number the larger the hook - I suggest a 14 for your first try)

Body - 3-6 fibers from the center tail of a cock pheasant (tails come in clumps or as singles or multiple singles - start with natural and then add black, olive, green, red  and orange later on)

Thread - fine copper wire (the original called for wire unwrapped from an old electric motor/generator - use the red copper color from Ultra-Wire as a nice substitute)

Sawyer's Pheasant Tail (PT) Nymph - unweighted (Davie McPhail's version)

Same as above but use a strand of metallic floss instead of the copper wire (gold or copper color) like DMC Precious Metal Effects - found in most hobby/sewing stores - look for the floss section and the metallics will normally be on the right side and will jump out at you!  Use a single strand not the 7-8 strand bunch.  Again, add colors to match the choice of tail fibers you use.  If you would like some weight use some lead/lead substitute wire in .015 or .025 diameter.

Jack Gartside's The Sparrow

Hook - Mustad CS53S or equivalent (I have used the same M 3906 as above but in larger hook sizes), sizes 4-12

Thread - 6/0 black, brown, or color to match (I like to use olive green to match the tail but I'd start out with black as a beginner (~85% of patterns call for black thread)

Tail - male ring-necked pheasant rump feather ( If you are going to be tying for any amount of time buy a Male Ring-necked Pheasant skin (tailed or tailless), it's the Swiss Army knife of the feather world and usually a lifetime supply of feathers for about $20!

Body - gray squirrel dubbing (or rabbit)

Hackle - that male pheasant again!  This time pick one from two sections up towards the head from the rump section - it'll have a brown outer edge

Head - a pair of filoplume feathers.  When you pluck those other feathers for the tail and hackle look at the underside of the feathers, you'll see a smaller, wispy feather attached to the stem - that's a filoplume.  One warning - filoplumes are VERY brittle at the top end, don't worry if it does break you'll still be able to tie the pattern.

I would HIGHLY recommend most any of Jack's patterns, go to jackgartside.com - his patterns are simple, proven and use a lot of those pantry supplies!

Check out videos on Youtube for videos on how to tie.  The pattern's above were taken from two of my favorite reference sites - globalflyfisher.com (the PT's) and flyfishohio.com (The Sparrow).

Hope this helps.

BTW, nice choice in a vise - same as my first SO MANY years ago!

Kim

Tremendous help!  Thanks so much for posting a ton of great information.

Scott

@SilverCreekand @Sandanthanks for the help!  I really appreciate it.  I will be taking a beginners class at my fly shop next month but I really would like to try my hand at something before then.  Thanks again.

Remember that all these nymphs can be tied with or without a bead and if you add a bead, you need to choose a color - usually gold, silver or black and either made of brass or tungsten. Tungsten beads are heavier and more expensive but the nymph gets to the bottom more quickly. Before buying beads, you might want to make sure they will fit around the bend of the hook you are using and that the size of the bead matches the size of the fly.

@flytire started posting some videos August 23 of this year, which would give you a great resource for easy, effective nymphs to start tying.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/forum/88-ftf-videos/

He's probably got a better way for you to access them than this, but meanwhile you're off to the races.