Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

How slow is the mail now, really...?

Latest tracking info on my order was 12/27, apparently it arrived in Springfield MA and was sent back to Iowa, LOL

• Dec 27, 2020
  • 9:30am
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • DES MOINES, IA 50395
  • Dec 26, 2020
  • 11:25pm
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152

FWIW, I lived in a rural area of KY. Just before the holidays, I was watching TV and saw the UPS truck go by at 9 PM, still making deliveries.

Was told by a UPS driver about a young lady who made her deliveries in the morning and afternoon. Then she went back to the terminal and asked for another load...to get the overtime. Result? People were getting deliveries in a timely fashion.

Looking this post over we are a small number demographically, I wonder how large the percentage is nationwide, experiencing  postal problems? 

From what I hear it is like that all over. I deal with about 4-5 suppliers on a regular bases and a few others as well from time to time, from Wa to Pa and Fl to Mi and they all have the same problems.

Another day without feathers in the mailbox.

I am patient, but I wonder if I should call Collins just to see if they even received the order yet.

UPDATE: Did call. They received the order and it is on its way.

Interesting.

Got my package today. Priority mail postmarked three days ago, which is not bad.

The order letter from Florida to New York must have have taken quite a bit longer. It was before the holidays, but I am sure it got caught in the last minute mad dash of Christmas correspondence.

I ordered a drill on Ebay on Nov 20th with a delivery date of the 25th through USPS. I didn't get the drill until December10th. Most of that time it was sitting in a trailer waiting to get unloaded in Lehigh Valley but they did not have enough people. So, 20 or so trailers were parked at any given time waiting to get unloaded. My brother in law mailman informed me about this.

My buddy at work had 3 packages "lost". One guy in my department had his lift kit for his truck lost in transit so he cancelled, got refunded, and ordered from a different place. Well, that original package showed up at the house yesterday. I have been pretty luck so far with stuff through USPS. Had to send reels out for repair and had some other orders but no issues other my drill.

The thing is that UPS, at least in my area, also has degraded their service recently.

Once in November they sent me the wrong item. I ordered a roof rack for my car and received a courtain rod.

Once in December one item was missing from an Amazon fulfilled order

still in transit arriving late, not updated and no response from USPS. it is a book, maybe they are waiting for it to go out of print and increase in value before delivery! if not received by next week I'll contact seller and ask them if they can track it. 

Sad, but the new world we live in.   Whether it’s local or big hubs, USPS, UPS, or FedEx, it boils down to employees attitudes and desire to do their jobs.  We all have stories some really crazy.   Prolly gonna get worse than better...

Years ago the pay checks from UPS were late.  Couldn’t talk to the local store only gal in Atlanta.  Next day a hand found the local store and went to it   Guy said yeh they in Jackson.  The guy said please just check.  They were in the back on the shelf.   They switched to FedEx.  Now direct deposit stopped that weekly nitemare.

8B2175FD-A8A6-4DF7-83C2-32C542CFD7F2.png

IMO one of the main problems with postal service is accountability and pure uncaring/laziness all across the board. I use to work for UPS back in the 90's for about 5-6 years loading trucks and sorting. Not only were we held accountable and written up if we had too many mis-sorts or we did not keep up to a certain number of packages loaded in a certain time frame, but the supervisors of each PD at the hub would actually test us by slipping mis-sorted items in as we were checking&loading,  just to make sure we were doing our jobs properly. And we did not go home at the end of our shift until our entire PD was clean of all packages and everything was shipped or loaded to where it was supposed to be. At UPS we worked at a pace that was unreal, I literally lost 40+ lbs my first summer working there.

Postal service you just don't see that sort of thing. A friend of mine was telling me a few weeks ago about his friend that works at postal service and his friend was saying "oh it's insane now, he is sorting six thousandth packages per day"... I thought that was cute...because when I worked at UPS I sorted & loaded upwards of ten thousandth packages per 4 hour shift. So more than twice the amount he's complaining about in half the time. It's  just sad that people these days don't really put effort into their work. They just go in, punch a clock, and bide their time till it's time to punch out.

BTW still waiting on the blank. First one that was shipped Dec 10th is still not here. The reshipped one that was sent Dec 31 is still sitting down in FL for the past 7 days since it was shipped 2000 miles in the wrong direction.