Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutmaster08

Tying and fishing a foam beetle

Just put out a new video... This one took the most work out of any of the others and was by far the longest. I decided to make a tying and fishing video into one. Like and subscribe if you like it and let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWJ3JufTUkc

Indeed you’ve put some hard work in on this one.  Two suggestions and one question.

Suggestion #1:  After showing the finished fly first as you did, show them the various materials you will use before tying (especially if you can show the package it comes in).  That way there’s no guessing on the viewers part as to what materials go into the fly.

Suggestion #2:  Work on the overall light and backdrop.  Half a sign and uneven lighting is distracting.

Question:  I am curious as to why you tie in the legs individually versus tying in a pair at a time by capturing a length of leg in the middle as most rubber leg patterns do.  It would seem that tying in the rubber legs individually with just a smidgen of leg captured by thread would be prone to pulling out.

Keep at it.

4 hours ago, mikemac1 said:

Question:  I am curious as to why you tie in the legs individually versus tying in a pair at a time by capturing a length of leg in the middle as most rubber leg patterns do.  It would seem that tying in the rubber legs individually with just a smidgen of leg captured by thread would be prone to pulling out.

Keep at it.

I only tie the legs like that because it's simply what gives me more control. I struggle with the two at once technique.