Fly Tying
DFoster

Back in 4 minutes-

It's 48 degrees out with a forecast high of 58, the sun is shining  and there is only a gentle breeze, an absolutely perfect day to be casting a line.  But not for me because I'm stuck at my @#$% office watching another perfect fishing day slip away through a window.  Earning a living is really starting to interfere with my fishing.

For anyone out there who's also got the "work ethic" curse here's 4 minutes of sanity-

That was wonderful. Thanks.

I say to h*ll with that work ethic. I'm leaving on a ten day trip tomorrow, one of eight this summer. Not trying to brag. (maybe just a little) My wife and I worked really hard to build up our business, now it's time to reap the rewards. I Just got my free, forever, hunting, fishing, and trapping license and I'm going to wear it out before I die. My wife is going to feel like a widow and I don't even feel guilty about it. (Well, maybe just a little.)

Well I like work, working and fishing. I'm fortunate that when I am working I don't ever have a thought that I should be out fishing. Well not often anyway. at 48 degrees i would rather be at work looking out the window. Watching videos of people fishing generally bore me as well. I wish I didn't think this way but I do. I'm not so sure I could replace work with fishing which is probably why I still work and still enjoy going to work every morning and fishing once or twice a week.  Surely I can't be the only one who likes work, can I? Maybe I need help. 

Cool or cold weather- hunting. Warm or hot weather- fishing. Many people like work.  I did have a couple of jobs that were good but, overall, but when I retired due to health reasons, I never looked back. I do have some interests besides hunting and fishing- wood turning, reading history either fiction or real, reading whatever interests me while at the library, photography and writing, and have nine grandkids, one of whom plays AAA baseball.

Edit- Forgot the wife of almost 49 years. Gonna catch it now!

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Well I like work, working and fishing. I'm fortunate that when I am working I don't ever have a thought that I should be out fishing. Well not often anyway. at 48 degrees i would rather be at work looking out the window. Watching videos of people fishing generally bore me as well. I wish I didn't think this way but I do. I'm not so sure I could replace work with fishing which is probably why I still work and still enjoy going to work every morning and fishing once or twice a week.  Surely I can't be the only one who likes work, can I? Maybe I need help. 

No, I like work too. I can't say I'd rather work than fish though. I think there will come a time I can't fish any more, maybe then I'll catch up on some of my work.

I like my job.  But I can't say I like working at my job.  When I am there, I enjoy the process.  I enjoy working with the students.  I enjoy seeing the light come on in their eyes ... when it does.

BUT ... it's not where I'd rather be.  Especially now that my shop is built, I'd rather "work" out there than at the school.  If I could afford to retire today, they'd be looking for a new instructor tomorrow.   And I'd be splitting the time between "working" in the shop and fishing.

22 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

No, I like work too. I can't say I'd rather work than fish though. I think there will come a time I can't fish any more, maybe then I'll catch up on some of my work.

Ha! I get it. I remember my dad looking forward to retiring so he could fish more. I also remember a few years after he started fishing more he took a part time menial labor job because he wanted to work more. I'm like him. Ive always liked working but I really enjoy working when theres no good reason to work other then the great feeling I get from working. In a few years my wife will be retired and we can begin our retirements in earnest with lots of travel and a smattering of fishing thrown in for good measure. 

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

I like my job.  But I can't say I like working at my job.  When I am there, I enjoy the process.  I enjoy working with the students.  I enjoy seeing the light come on in their eyes ... when it does.

BUT ... it's not where I'd rather be.  Especially now that my shop is built, I'd rather "work" out there than at the school.  If I could afford to retire today, they'd be looking for a new instructor tomorrow.   And I'd be splitting the time between "working" in the shop and fishing.

It's official, I'm different. Ive enjoyed my shop over the years but I've had it so long it makes me think I'm at a job I hate when I'm in there. I have built everything I've desired to build and I've remodeled my house for the last time.  I'm ready to liquidate all my woodworking tools and actually use my garage to park cars. I already got rid of my bandsaw. The floor drill press,  jointer and planer might be next. The table saw may be difficult but that takes up the most room and all I do is wax the top of it anymore. 

I can't say I dislike my work, the fact is I truly enjoy my day job most days anyway.    I've also been fortunate to also work as a professional musician in rock bands on weekend for the past 35 years.  But given a choice on a beautiful day I'd rather be fishing.  Yesterday I was outside all day in rural Connecticut doing utility pole surveys.   The pole line paralleled a nice little stream.  At one point we crossed over it and from the small bridge I could see several small Brook trout looking back -mockingly.  Hmph...

Story- An airline pilot was flying over a large lake. He declared to the copilot, "When I was a kid, I wished I was up in an airplane. Now I wish I was fishing, instead of up in an airplane."

Nice thread DFoster and some great photos.  Fished with a 9ft 9wgt here today but nothing doing. I think it was too beautiful a day.

D5C1F789-BE43-4F77-B2B5-790FE90B681C.jpeg