Fly Tying
SalarMan

HMH TRV Vise Improved

I've been engaged in a conversation with DFoster, Toothy and Mark Knapp regarding the HMH TRV Vise. While I consider the LAW Vise jaw design the best thing I've ever tied on I found the TRV lacking for the simple reason its inability to handle a full range of hook sizes most disappointing. Someone whom I've gotten to know offered to modify the jaws so the vise would handle the hooks for my classic salmon flies in larger sizes, but still hold small trout hooks. The fellow shall remain unnamed because he did this for me gratis, and I sure don't want him to suddenly receive requests to do more of this for the same price. 😄

Mr. Foster asked me to post pictures that show the changes...so here they are. One was lifted from the internet shows the original jaw shape, the other shows the ever so small change made to the jaw closest to the tyer (right hand tyer). A simple change of a few degrees to the left half of the inside of the jaw made for a dramatic change in the range of hooks which the vise will now hold. Before the change...2/0 max...after the change I put a 9/0  in the vise and it will hold that hook so one could tie a fly on that hook. AMAZING result for such a small adjustment!!

Feel free to offer any thoughts of course.

Cheers,
George

DSC_0001_(3)_LI.jpg

DSC_0002 (3)_LI.jpg

Very perceptive of you guys regarding the master machinist, knife maker and all around good guy at work. His change made this vise all it was meant to be.

Thanks Mark !!!!!!!!

Yes, I spoke about it in another thread, "hardness of the HMH TRV". The modification is quick and easy.

There is actually another part that needs grinding in order to facilitate a wider opening jaw. The oval fulcrum that attaches the fixed jaw to the movable jaw has a very tight tolerance and inhibits the movement of the movable jaw. I lengthened the slot that the fulcrum fits into.

I did the same thing to my vise. I like it a lot. I can tie on a size 11/0 with no problem. The alteration doesn't change the way the vise holds smaller size hooks.

I'm glad I could help Solar.

Great talking to you yesterday Mark!! I can't thank you enough for making the TRV the vise it was meant to be. I've already experimented with a 9/0 (biggest I own) and a size 22. The vise held both equally well.

Maybe the folks at HMH will get the idea.

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Great talking to you yesterday Mark!! I can't thank you enough for making the TRV the vise it was meant to be. I've already experimented with a 9/0 (biggest I own) and a size 22. The vise held both equally well.

Maybe the folks at HMH will get the idea.

George it looks like the fly fishing shows will happen this coming spring.  If they do you should bring your vise to the HMH booth and show Mr. Larrabee.

33 minutes ago, Moshup said:

Wondering if this work voids the guarantee ?

I'm quite sure that it would. We altered the vise. The work I did, however, didn't change it's structural integrity in the least. I'm sure these alterations will have no effect on how the vise functions, or how long it lasts, except that it takes larger hooks.

17 hours ago, DFoster said:

George it looks like the fly fishing shows will happen this coming spring.  If they do you should bring your vise to the HMH booth and show Mr. Larrabee.

I won't be attending any of the shows this coming season except for possibly Lancaster, and that one is doubtful. HMH never attends that one anyway.

I've discussed the limits of the TRV with Jon Larrabee in the past and he said...with a smile on his face..."you salmon fly tyers are a pain in the ass." Plus he added that as a small operation he really can't customize vises to accommodate each and every person's need, and I can understand that. He and I agreed to disagree on this , so it is what it is. However, Mark was able to make it happen for me and I am eternally grateful.

14 hours ago, Moshup said:

Wondering if this work voids the guarantee ?

Like Mark said, I am sure it does. But at my age (73) that falls into the where are they now and who gives a shit department - HA HA HA HA:P

The vise now does all it should have capable of doing from day one and I love it 

somebody could put together a simple email with the photo of the modified jaw to john larrabee at hmh as a suggestion as to how to modify the jaws to accept larger hooks

if he accepts the suggestion more power to him and he could incorporate it into the next batch of vises coming off the assembly line. it doesnt seem to be a major step in the manufacturing process and it would give tyers using larger hooks an additional choice in buying a new vise

if he doesnt like the suggestion then tough luck to him 

1 hour ago, flytire said:

somebody could put together a simple email with the photo of the modified jaw to john larrabee at hmh as a suggestion as to how to modify the jaws to accept larger hooks

if he accepts the suggestion more power to him and he could incorporate it into the next batch of vises coming off the assembly line. it doesnt seem to be a major step in the manufacturing process and it would give tyers using larger hooks an additional choice in buying a new vise

if he doesnt like the suggestion then tough luck to him 

If someone wants to give it a go...more power to them. I gave up on that idea a  long time ago...period. I respect his position and how he runs his business.

23 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Like Mark said, I am sure it does. But at my age (73) that falls into the where are they now and who gives a shit department - HA HA HA HA:P

The vise now does all it should have capable of doing from day one and I love it 

George I wouldn't give it any thought either.  I just can't see parts failing on the TRV design with normal use.  I suppose if your using it to hold rifle targets you could miss and hit the vise?   I'm pretty sure that would void the warranty any way-