Fly Tying
chugbug27

LaFontaine's Limbo Method...

Ok, in LaFontaine's Caddisflies (1981) he puts out a then-new method of fly fishing pupa patterns to large trout holding at the bottom at the edge of a break in current at the bend of a stream, which he calls the "Limbo" method -- you cast above the fish with weighted pupa, weighted line and a short weighted leader, and as the fly sinks you turn downstream and submerge your rod tip to the bottom. Once the fly, the line, the leader and the tip are all at the bottom, you then take advantage of the slow currents there and hand twist your pupa pattern to crawl along the bottom to get the big trout to bite.

(pp.110-113 of Caddisflies)

Anyone ever try it? Any success?  

Hmm.. interesting.  I have a sink tip that I only use on the lake, never on streams.  I wonder how that would fare with a floating line and some lead for weight.  

Never even heard of it but it follows my number one rule of fly fishing; if you ain’t catching fish your not fishing deep enough. 

32 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

if you ain’t catching fish your not fishing deep enough. 

👍

LaFontaine prefaces it, don't use your bamboo rods with this method... 

Sometimes he seems brilliant, other times not so much...  

Nay..., Nay..., He was brilliant... all of the time!

I have posted elsewhere about my fishing book collection, and this is one of my most cherished!...

20230422-121701.jpg

20230422-121712.jpg

This actually sent chills down me when I found this! A presentation copy, to his first Entomology Professor in collage! Along with his rare book award advertisement, put out by his publisher. It doesn't get any better..., the beginnings of Mr. LaFontaine!

@chugbug27, thanks for posting this up!

The only time I've used a sinking line for trout is on the White River up in Vermont.  There are some very deep pools.  One day I was fishing it below a bridge.  I cast upstream  and let the line and fly sink.  It ended up vertically against a rock wall.  Feeling lazy I just let it sit there and managed to catch three trout.  I was using a PT Nymph and it was like fishing bait.  The trout just sucked the nymph in.

Gary was indeed a class act, and a brilliant innovator.  He was one of the pioneers of looking at flies (in/on the water) from the trout's perspective, which did lead to some unusual and very effective patterns.  When you would meet him at the shows, he loved to chat about his latest studies and share knowledge, especially with the kids.  My son and I have books signed (to us) from the early 90s.  Sadly, ALS took him from us too soon . . .

Regards,

I have sunk the rod tip when swinging flies for steelhead to get deeper. Slow strip set to set the hook when you feel the take, then raise the tip up and to the side.