Fly Tying
Gene L

Suggestions for rod sale

About two weeks ago, I fell and broke my hip.  Which means my fishing from a stream is pretty well over.  I've got a lot of equipment I won't be able to use, including several rods, from expensive to mundane, and a handfull of reels, mostly Hardy's.  Any interest in getting these rod/reels at a great price?  Prize is a 4 w tBill Oyster cane rod that was only fished four times.

Gene- I'm really sorry to hear about your hip but they do heal and I hope this is a temporary situation for you.   A lot of improvement can happen in a few weeks.  I wish you a speedy recovery.  

Gene, I agree with DFoster, don’t give up just yet, with all of the the great therapies out there you may be happily surprised. I know from recent health issues I’m having and being a official senior citizen now that it’s easy to start just not doing stuff, but I’m not slowing down, every day is a gift use it.

Mike.

Sorry to hear about your hip, and surely I'm no doctor, but I tend to agree with the posters above.  You'd be surprised what some time and therapy can do.  Two years ago my brother, who's just shy of 60, had both his knees replaced at the same time.  He was back in the water within a matter of months with a bit of PT.    

Godspeed to your quick recovery. 

A friend had both knees replaced at the same time! He went through PT and is doing great. Getting ready to take off with his wife on a European vacation. PT is designed to keep you flexible and is an ongoing deal. Careful fishing would qualify. IMHO. Another friend had her knee replaced a couple of years ago. She declared, "Should have done it years ago!"

Gene I agree with everyone, don't give up yet. That gear isn't eating anything and is hard to replace if you mend better than expected. My neighbor is in his late eighty's is a broken hip survivor (fell off a step ladder close to 10 years ago, Christmas decorations). He fishes slow smooth water with us, we bring a chair for him, puts his wader on himself now, does need help sometimes to get them off, takes breaks when needed and someone stays close. He's turned out to be a better fishing coach for us and loves to get out.

I recommend: Don't sell anything. I sold two guns and to replace them, the cost is 4-5X the original cost.

Trust healing will be quick and complete. Is there any type of PT to keep you flexible? I'm facing two knee replacements and shoulder surgery in the future. Waaay in the future.

Home ot/pt therapy to begin with, I'm in rehab now.  Fact is, I've got too many rods and too many reels.  I will keep some, some need to go.

Even before I broke my hip. I had problems wading...I'd get dizzy even in shallow water and fall.  So unless things improve a lot, my river wading days are over.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I'll still will sell some rods, just not ALL my rods.

OK then, my suggestion would be to list them in our "Classified Ads" section of this forum. It sounds like you have some nice stuff that others here would love to take to the river again.