Fly Tying
Johnw1986

Sports swap

Gents,

The last swap (Local Fly Swap) and first for me, I was a bit confused on the pre paid postage aspect... and still am.  I ended up just sending a few more dollars than what it costed me to ship.  The lady at the post office put my fly containers in a cardboard box, thus confusing me as to how I get a self addressed paid for return package in that package.

How should I be doing it?  Are swapmeisters ok with receiving a few extra dollars to cover the cost of a padded envelope when they go to the post office?  Trying to not be difficult, but need some clarification.

v/r,

Blaine

Flies dropped in the mail today.  USPS tracking # 9500 1108 4512 2278 5746 07.

Kim

ME! ALABAMA???  I’ll have you know I pull for 3 teams on Saturday. In the order of preference, first, I am a Clemson Tiger FAN! GO Tigers. #2 on my list is the Univ of Tenn Volunteers. GO Vols! And #3 is whoever plays Carolina (Gamecocks) Univ of S Carolina. I would pull for ANYONE who plays the Univ of S Carolina. 

Dang BB, that's that old CRS we septuagenerians have. I thought I remembered you being the Crimson Tide guy all the way. Good thing I didn't do Alabama flies just for you.

8 hours ago, Squeezy said:

Gents,

The last swap (Local Fly Swap) and first for me, I was a bit confused on the pre paid postage aspect... and still am.  I ended up just sending a few more dollars than what it costed me to ship.  The lady at the post office put my fly containers in a cardboard box, thus confusing me as to how I get a self addressed paid for return package in that package.

How should I be doing it?  Are swapmeisters ok with receiving a few extra dollars to cover the cost of a padded envelope when they go to the post office?  Trying to not be difficult, but need some clarification.

v/r,

Blaine

Blaine, I'll be happy to help you out.  I host swaps here and have been hosting swaps for 11+ years.

Here's a couple ways you can figure the postage for your SASE (self addressed, stamped envelope).  The way I use is to go to this site -> Retail Postage Price Calculator (usps.com).  Follow these simple steps - on the first page all you need do is fill-in your ZIP and the host's ZIP then click the 4th box.  This will take you to a new page, here you can just enter 3.6 OZs. (this is good for most any freshwater fly swap - if it is a saltwater or musky/pike fly swap, you may need to check the weight),  now click on the 2nd (large envelope) box.  Now click on the 4th box on this new page, you'll now be on the 4th and final page - go to the bottom and you'll find the 1st class postage needed.  Just add the stamps to the SASE and put it your sending envelope with your swap box and flies.  (This will take you longer to read than to do!)

The second way is to prepare everything BUT DO NOT seal your sending envelope.  Take this to the post office, they will weigh everything and you can then put your mailing together, seal and mail.  NOTE: The SASE's postage will be the same as the postage on your sending envelope.

As far as sending cash/check to the swap host to cover postage I'd simply check with the host if that's OK with them.  For me and my swaps I have no problem since I am within a mile from my bank (checks) and I ALWAYS take the envelopes to the post office window so I get a tracking number that way.

I hope this helps you out

Kim

Kim-

Thank you for taking the time for the explanation.  I followed directions and came up with $5.30.  So... I need to get that amount in stamps, place them on a bubble wrapped envelope addressed to myself, fold in half and place inside the package going to Johnw1986 - correct?

I do some pretty intricate work in my career with structurally fixing our military aircraft, but jeesh - this has me baffled.   

And make sure to tell them you want "forever" stamps for your return envelope, not "metered" stamps, and don't buy "stamps" at the automated kiosk (you'll get metered stamps). Metered stamps cost the same as regular stamps and are sold to you as a default when you just ask for correct postage, even face to face, but they're only good the day you buy them, mailed from the place you buy them, and they're not refundable or even exchangeable for regular stamps. 

Next thing you know, they'll come up with "eternity" stamps and tell you your "forever" stamps are "no longer supported."

8 hours ago, Squeezy said:

Kim-

Thank you for taking the time for the explanation.  I followed directions and came up with $5.30.  So... I need to get that amount in stamps, place them on a bubble wrapped envelope addressed to myself, fold in half and place inside the package going to Johnw1986 - correct?

I do some pretty intricate work in my career with structurally fixing our military aircraft, but jeesh - this has me baffled.   

It must be that you are a good student - whenever I teach the instructor is suspect!😉  You are correct and remember, you'll need to have $530 in postage on your sending envelope as well.  The postage is a little higher due to the USPS's holiday surcharge that just went into effect.  I hope that you enjoy your swap experience - I've had John in my swaps as well and have swapped with almost all of the hosts on this site and I have enjoyed swapping with them all!

Kim

Thanks Kim… whew glad I got that circus figured out. I blame my last swap (1st) and the postal lady confusing me. Anywho, just finished my dozen for the swap be hitting post office in the A.M.  GO HUSKERS!!

5B48B0AB-7421-473C-9519-9635FFE91E6B.jpeg

Nice ties, I look forward to seeing them and glad I could help out.

Kim

En route. Thanks again for the postal assistance. Made sense this go around and didn’t end up paying an arm and leg. 

E2D167C4-CBC1-49D4-B0A9-12DB2D69469C.jpeg