Fly Tying
Shmang

Articulated Streamers hook position

Planning for a post-Christmas trip and am going to spend part of the trip at a Trophy Trout water that has a single hook requirement. It is NOT private water.

Thinking that a large articulated streamer might move some of the bigguns but with the single hook element was wondering if you would want the hook at the back of the pattern or at the front section?  I have some articulated shanks that would allow me to have the hook at either spot.  On one hand at the front makes sense as they will tend to attack the head as part of their prefatory response.  The back might grab any short strikers. Any thoughts?

FWIW.   Years ago, before I took up fly fishing, my 12 year old nephew and I were fishing a creek that flowed into a stocked lake.  There were trout in the stream but we were fishing for bass with live minnows.  At the end of the day, I tossed the remaining minnows into the creek.  As they were struggling on the surface, the trout went nuts coming up and grabbing the minnows just behind the head.  It stuck in my head, and helped me when I started tying and fishing streamers.  That said I agree with Bryon tie some of each.

I’m no predatory response expert and my comments are based on nothing but my very own personal experience. I’ve seen a thousand fish follow my lure back to me. Sometimes they didn’t eat it but a lot of times they crushed it from behind. Sometimes they came up from the bottom or off from the oblique but they were all from the back end and never from the front or side. I’m sure they will grab food however they can at times but I think the predatory response is by ambushing from behind.  

Also in favor of Byron's suggestions, but if I had to choose, I would select the rear hook.  I'm not a trout streamer kind of guy but I've fished smallies for almost 40 years and I very often get to see the takes and most of the time they will follow up from the rear and inhale the fly from behind, they don't aim for the head like so  many think.  It makes sense because the baitfish can't see what's coming directly from behind like they can in their temporal periphery.  Now in fast water when the fly is really moving and passes by a rock where ole Mr. Smallie is laying in wait, of course he'll just jump out there and crash it without thought to direction of attack.  I've too often witnessed smallies coming up and sipping in a long streamer from behind but not fully and the hook and forward portion of the fly is hanging out of his mouth just before he says "nah" and spits it out.  This happens frequently if the fish are wary and/or the bite is not strong and they're not in an all out feeding mode.  Just my observations and they might not relate to trout at all.

9 hours ago, Shmang said:

Planning for a post-Christmas trip and am going to spend part of the trip at a Trophy Trout water that has a single hook requirement. It is NOT private water.

Thinking that a large articulated streamer might move some of the bigguns but with the single hook element was wondering if you would want the hook at the back of the pattern or at the front section?  I have some articulated shanks that would allow me to have the hook at either spot.  On one hand at the front makes sense as they will tend to attack the head as part of their prefatory response.  The back might grab any short strikers. Any thoughts?

IMO I would base it on fly size, fly color with size in mind and weather/water condition. If I work with darker water with darker flies I like the hook high because I get more side bits. Lighter colors with smaller patterns I tend to move back because I see more tailing fish. I would tye some of the same patterns with different hook placements but at the same time change the fly size. 

Kevin

20160412_175853_HDR.jpg

Easternfly, off topic I know, but are those Fish Mask fish skulls reusable or shall I say usable without using epoxy to stay attached to the head of the fly ?  Thanks

6 hours ago, robow7 said:

Easternfly, off topic I know, but are those Fish Mask fish skulls reusable or shall I say usable without using epoxy to stay attached to the head of the fly ?  Thanks

You can reuse them if you secure them at the hook eye and not behind the fish eye. 

tie one or two each way and go fishing

record the results and let us know the fish's preference

👍👍

4 hours ago, Easternfly said:

You can reuse them if you secure them at the hook eye and not behind the fish eye. 

Do you mean by placing mask on and then starting thread and really over wrapping in front of the mask and just behind hook eye ?  I didn't know if the mask would rotate and not stay in proper orientation ?

Also, though I've never used them, Tube flies generally have their single hook at the most posterior portion of the fly and not near the head, so I'm presuming it works.

8 hours ago, robow7 said:

Do you mean by placing mask on and then starting thread and really over wrapping in front of the mask and just behind hook eye ?  I didn't know if the mask would rotate and not stay in proper orientation ?

I have never had a problem with movement. Just make sure what's behind it is fuller. I've done it with swap flies. I would love to get into another streamer swap again. 

Thanks to all for the input!  I indeed tied up a variety pack and will report back == hopefully with BIG results.