Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Cherished guns????

I've got one of these.  My Dad brought it home from WW II.  This is a picture from the net, as I am not home at the moment.

I don't know what it's worth, but for me, it's priceless.

CMR Classic Firearms :: Luger 9mm Mauser 1940-42 (WW11 German Military).

My pre-safety marlin 336 for night shooting deer on depredation tags. Was my uncle's ubtil about 10 years ago when he got rid of all his firearms.

20211027_184326.jpg

On 2/25/2023 at 5:12 PM, mikechell said:

I've got one of these.  My Dad brought it home from WW II.  This is a picture from the net, as I am not home at the moment.

I have a similar one, Mike.  My uncle brought it home. 

937554390_Luger-WW2.JPG.1cb5c616a4337a86d6a447e1fff19fa9.JPG   1680504637_Luger-WW2Holster.JPG.43787fa5f4cb73f23ec577a3a4d082c5.JPG

It came with two magazines, loader and holster and a half dozen original 9 mm rounds.  I've done a bit of research on it.   It was made by Mauser in 1939.  All of the serial numbers on the gun parts match.  The serial numbers on the magazines and holster don't match but that seems to be fairly common.  

While all of my firearms are cherished, the one that is most cherished and has the most sentimental value by far is my 1966 Winchester lever action 30/30 "Centennial 66". It is a rifle that my Mom bought and gave to my Dad on their 2nd wedding anniversary back in 1966. My Dad never shot it, he just kept it safe and loved having it. After he passed in 1996 I am the only person to ever put any rds through that gun. I would never sell any of my firearms, but even more so especially that one, that is a gun that I will have till the day I die and then it will be passed down to my Nephew.

jVx55cQ.jpg

Before my Grandpa passed, he wanted to hand-down his guns in person. I was given his Winchester Model 12 shotgun, which to me was particularly special because he loved waterfowl hunting most of all. My Ruger Mark II .270 is another one that's really special to me as its my primary deer rifle and was given to me by my Dad for my 3rd birthday. 

Super cool seeing the heirloom firearms and all the sentimental value behind them. A bit cliche, but if those guns could talk, the stories they'd tell. So many special people and memories associated with each of your guns. Thank you all for sharing! 

It's a Stevens 87A (gill gun).  It was my Dad's rifle that I inherited.  I shot my first squirrel with it when I was 8 years old which was around 60 years ago.

This is a photo from the internet of the same model.  I don't have a scope on mine.  It's a .22 that operates as a single-shot for S, L, R, and LR or as a semi-automatic with LR only.

Savage-Stevens-Model-87A-Rifle-1-scaled[1].jpg

I'm a recovering gun-holic.  Thursday was a week ago, I sold the balance of my firearms, a total of 40.  I'm still sad, but getting over it very slowly.  My guns were getting out of control.

Gene, no one likes a quitter! 😁

I just bought a new one over the weekend. I actually almost bought another new one today, but somehow managed to resist the sale. Now that one is out of stock so I don't have to resist any longer at least lol

On 5/8/2023 at 6:24 PM, Gene L said:

I'm a recovering gun-holic.  Thursday was a week ago, I sold the balance of my firearms, a total of 40.  I'm still sad, but getting over it very slowly.  My guns were getting out of control.

Oh man!!!  Didn't anyone ever tell you to never sell any of your guns?

I sold one in the late 1980's and have been regretting it ever since.  I've never sold any other gun and won't.

I'm sure some of us here would have held onto them for you while you get control of your problem.  :D

I'm still in shock.  I wish I'd kept more than I did.  I sold  half of that number in handguns.  Some nice examples but no to-die-for guns.  I figured it's time to sell the guns so my daughter won't give them away when I croak.

I was just messing with you Gene.  I do regret selling that one gun but it wasn't much of a gun and I sold it to my best friend so he could teach his sons how to shoot.  It went to a good cause.

I do have a few more I should probably sell but I'm just too lazy.

But I have been told never to sell any gun.  I see some truth to that.

On 5/11/2023 at 2:22 PM, DWSmith said:

Oh man!!!  Didn't anyone ever tell you to never sell any of your guns?

I sold one in the late 1980's and have been regretting it ever since.  I've never sold any other gun and won't.

I'm sure some of us here would have held onto them for you while you get control of your problem.  :D

I sold a 30-30 a few years ago and regret it.  I gifted a Colt 38 special to a close friend, but do not regret that. 

I have a muzzle loader shotgun that was used by my ancestor at Shiloh.  I have a German Mauser that was gifted to me by an old man who was a close friend and client.  I have several matched pairs of pistols and a Belgian Browning Sweet 16 that were my Dad's.  One of my most cherished possessions is my Dad's Browning recurve bow.