Fly Tying
mikechell

Venus and Jupiter

The two planets, Jupiter and Venus will be almost touching tomorrow night (conjunction).  A very rare sight.

If you're interested, don't miss it!

I saw the Starlink train @ 2 weeks ago, that was pretty cool. Thanks for the heads-up. 

56 minutes ago, niveker said:

I saw the Starlink train @ 2 weeks ago, that was pretty cool. Thanks for the heads-up. 

That freaked me right out the first time I saw it. Didn’t know anything about it and thought the Martians or Russians were doing a fly-by. 

Venus and Jupiter look pretty good right now but thanks for the heads up about the conjunction. Can’t wait to take a look at it. 

15 hours ago, niveker said:

14 hours ago, dflanagan said:

That freaked me right out the first time I saw it. Didn’t know anything about it and thought the Martians or Russians were doing a fly-by. 

Venus and Jupiter look pretty good right now but thanks for the heads up about the conjunction. Can’t wait to take a look at it. 

2 weeks ago I was walking our dogs just after dark in the fields behind our home when Starlink went over.  As I don't allow the news media into my life anymore I had no idea what I was looking at.  I don't mind saying that for a few minutes I understood clearly how someone who sees a UFO or a sasquatch feels.  I called my wife who was home 500' away and she said  "I told you not to drink bourbon if you start with wine" -  Some coaxing got her out on the deck and she caught the tail disappearing.  Thankfully a quick internet search cleared it up and we didn't waste any tinfoil making hats.   Still a town cop said there were many phone calls to the station that night so apparently I'm not the only one not tuning in to the news media these days?  This website will let you know when there passing over your area.  https://findstarlink.com/ 

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

I don't mind saying that for a few minutes I understood clearly how someone who sees a UFO or a sasquatch feels. 

Yeah, even knowing what I was looking at, it was very odd.  Especially as each satellite in the train just disappeared when it reached the same point in the sky, like they were going into a black hole or something.  

Yep ... I've been hyped up all day waiting to see the two planets.  Told all kinds of people to be sure to look for them.  

Cloud cover all evening ... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I enjoy stuff like this in the sky, but I hardly ever get to see any of it. Living in the city it makes it hard to see some stuff because of the city lights. Then when there's things like this that are bright enough to actually see, it seems like there's always cloud cover.

Probably the coolest thing I have seen are the Northern Lights. It's rare to see them in Michigan, but back in the early 90's I was at my cabin in northern Michigan and saw them pretty clearly one night for some reason. Was really cool to see.

I've been to Anchorage twice in the middle of December.  There for a week each time ... and clouds all the time.  So, two winter trips and I still haven't seen the Aurora.  It's on my bucket list.