Hackle - Claret
Wing - Gray squirrel

Whiz Kid

Whiz-kid.jpg

Hook: #10

Thread: Brown, 72D

Tail: 3 peacock sword fibers

Butt, Body, Head, Wing: Deer hair

tied a little differently from the website 'Flies with a story' (www.fishingwithflies.com/WhizKid.html)

Very early one June morning a couple years back I headed off to my favorite river. Really, it's nothing more than a glorified stream, but the fishing is great...and the solitude is even better.

I got to my favorite stretch, suited up, and waited impatiently for daylight. I had decided before I left the house that I would be use a new fly designed by my friend, Mark Bauman, of Whitefish, MT. It was called the Whiz Kid. Mark told me to use it in size 10, but I nevertheless tied one each of sizes 10 to 18...just in case.

As the sun came up, I could see fish working the shallows. They must be on caddis emergers, I thought. Carefully I tied on the middle-sized Whiz Kid, a size 14, and made my first cast. Slowly, silently, and in what appeared slow motion, the 5x tippet uncoiled and the fly landed ever so gently on an overhanging bush. Sigh. Being my only size 14, I wasn't about to lose it on the first cast of the day, so I waded over, undoubtedly putting down every fish in the hole, and released the bush.

I promptly proceeded to the next hole hoping the day would improve. It did. I released at least fifteen 14"-16" rainbows (and only the one bush!) that day.

The amazing thing about the Whiz Kid is its tremendous versatility. In the morning the fish were caught on the surface; during the midday hours they were caught while stripping the Whiz Kid near the bottom; and in the evening they hit it on the swing or while being skated. I fished that one size 14 Whiz Kid the entire day, and it was still in good shape when I went home! Now that's what I call a killer fly!

4 minutes ago, niveker said:

Whiz Kid

Whiz-kid.jpg

Hook: #10

Thread: Brown, 72D

Tail: 3 peacock sword fibers

Butt, Body, Head, Wing: Deer hair

is this intended to be a panfish fly?  Does the peacock sword show through on the belly?

I edited (added to) my original post, giving credit to where I found the pattern. 

1 minute ago, wildwilly said:

is this intended to be a panfish fly?  Does the peacock sword show through on the belly?

Good questions.  I just finished tying up a bunch for the dry fly swap.  As I was tying, I was using different colored deer hair, each with a different amount of flare, which got me thinking what the fly would imitate.  I chose this darker hair with with little flare so it laid back more like the wing on a caddis. Using hair with more flare to it, I think it made a good mayfly profile, similar to a comparadun.  I like the caddis style better.  

Sure you could use it for panfish, but I tied it with the trouts in mind.  I haven't fished the pattern yet.  

No peacock shows through, the deer hair surrounds the hook shank. in spite of trying to keep it atop the shank.  Originally, the peacock tail was supposed to represent a trailing shuck.  See the website I referenced above.  Not sure if its really needed, frankly, unless fishing it as an emerger.     

Bream.bug

Size 12 scud hook. Umqua

6/0 Uni thread

Red brass bead

Tail: black dyed pheasant rump

Abdomen: black embroidery thread

Rib: pearl Flash a bou

Thorax: STS tri lobal dubbing in black

White round rubber legs

20230417_122155.jpg

Hornberg Special La Rouge

hook- mustad 94831 #12, thread- black, body- silver holographic tinsel, underwing- red calf tail tied just past hook, wing- mallard flank, cheeks- jungle cock nails, hackles- grizzly and brown.

hornbergr1.jpg

On 4/16/2023 at 2:23 PM, niveker said:

Whiz Kid

niveker do you reverse tie the deer hair then fold the wing back? nice pattern very caddis looking would fit in my box next to the devil bugs.

26 minutes ago, cphubert said:

reverse tie the deer hair then fold the wing back?

Exactly.  One clump of deer hair about 2x shank length, or to taste.  A few wraps at the butt, then snip deer hair being careful not to cut trailing shuck.  Lift hair and advance thread along shank to eye, a few wraps right behind eye, jump thread back to desired head size, fold deer hair back creating head and wing, tie off. 

Pretty quick and relatively simple tie.  Hardest part was snipping the butt without cutting shuck material,  and keeping a good grip on the deer hair when making the first few wraps at the eye to keep the body from getting too bulbous.  

46 minutes ago, cphubert said:

Hornberg Special

Nice.  

Carson-Royal-Coachman-1080.jpg

Carson Royal Coachman

Tail - Brown (cinnamon)
Body - Peacock herl ends with red floss middle
Hackle - Brown
Wing - White bucktail

The Fisherman's Handbook of Trout Flies - Donald DuBois

Black Stonefly

Hook: #10 Daiichi 1710
Head: Fulling Mills Tungsten Bead - Black
Thread: 140D Uni - Black
Tail/Legs: Turkey Biot - Black
Body: Black tubing over .030 lead wire
Collar: Black Lazer Dub
Wing Case: Pheasant Tail - Black

20230418_145016.jpg

I followed this video...mostly. Might add a few more legs on the next tie.

4 hours ago, Troy Bishop said:

Black Stonefly

Hook: #10 Daiichi 1710
Head: Fulling Mills Tungsten Bead - Black
Thread: 140D Uni - Black
Tail/Legs: Turkey Biot - Black
Body: Black tubing over .030 lead wire
Collar: Black Lazer Dub
Wing Case: Pheasant Tail - Black

20230418_145016.jpg

I followed this video...mostly. Might add a few more legs on the next tie.

Troy, that is very nice, it will fish!

royal_coachman_bivisible_1080.jpg

Royal Coachman Bivisible (A)

Tail - Golder pheasant tippets
Body - Peacock herl, red floss, peacock herl
Hackle - Brown and white

Royal Coachman Bivisible (B)

Tag - Gold tinsel
Body - Peacock herl, red floss, peacock herl
Hackle - Brown and white

The Fisherman's Handbook of Trout Flies - Donals DuBois