Fly Tying
DWSmith

Non-rotary vise recommendations please?

When I saw this I had to look up the Renzetti version of the profile plate.  It hasn’t changed, except for the price and maybe the name, since I picked one up maybe twenty five+ years ago.  They call it the visual enhancement profile plate and get $75 for one. It is a flat pale green on one side and light gray on the other.  Being attached to the stem of the vise is a plus.  With my sore eyes I need all the visual enhancement I can muster.  Good luck with your new tools and toys.

I'm interested if the new Spartan can hold large hooks well.  Many years ago, I owned a Spartan but because I tie a lot of bass (and back then...pike) flies, those larger hooks had a tendency to slip.  It was great for the medium and smaller stuff but it didn't suit my needs and I sold it to trout guy who loved it.

A good background plate can be obtained from your local picture shop. What's left of a matt after a picture is matted, is disposal and come in all kinds of colors.  It should be free, but if it's not, should cost a couple of bucks.  As for the Spartan, it's a great vise.  I sold mine of eBay and took a bath on it.  HMH makes three size jaws for midges, average, and heavy jaws.  They will fit any vise HMH makes (except the TRV).

Regal with stainless jaw. I have the Revolution but probably could have gotten away with Medallion

On 6/19/2023 at 8:22 AM, DWSmith said:

When I bought my new HMH Spartan vise J. Stockard gave me a $50 gift card. Sweet!

I used it yesterday to get, of all things, some lead wire and threads that they just got in (they have been out of stock for so long).  I also got an HMH Profile Plate.

Not sure about the HMH Profile Plate.  Any of you have one?  What do you think?

So, I’m wondering what your impression has been of the HMH profile plate.  Lately, I’ve been thinking about getting one, as my normal method of standing up a white binder behind the vise for a background leaves a lot to be desired.  Specifically, it blocks access to parts of my desk.

I am probably going to get one, but I’m not sure whether I want the HMH or one of the others.  The plate on the HMH seems unnecessarily large.

I have always used one and it really helps with my old eyes.  Whatever profile plate you get, you can always fold a piece of colored paper over it to change color/contrast.  I have used several over the years and I don't really think it matters which one you choose as long as it mounts on the vise shaft for vertical height, and pivots to adjust angle of view.  The one I use now is the Marc Petitjean Contrast Plate and it adjust about anyway you want.  They are all priced too high in my opinion (for what they are), but the HMH is pretty reasonable, and I'm not familiar with the one Gene mentioned . . .  

Regards,