Fly Tying
flytire

Fly Tying Tips and Tricks

Use a seam ripper to cut thread close after tying off the head.  A numer 11 scalpel blade is great for fine trimming, also.

Use needle nose pliers to flatten stems before tying on feather wings.

Use colored nail polish to give color to your heads.  Use different colors so you can tell weighted from unweighted flies in your box.  Cut the brush to a fine point.

39 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

Use needle nose pliers to flatten stems before tying on feather wings.

Good one, I do that also.  

17 hours ago, niveker said:

Good one, I do that also.  

And to crush the barbs on hooks

If you have a commercial waste bag that you never use because you hate to have anything attached to your vise stem, try mounting it to something else. This one is rigged to a frame piece just beneath the desk drawer and it swings completely under the desk and out of the way. I only swing it out when it’s time to scoop stuff into it.

Also before you dump the contents, go through the waste materials with one of those mechanic’s magnets on a stick. I just found 3 good hooks and a hackle pliers!

Waste Bag.JPG

I never liked using saliva to moisten my fingers or licking materials to moisten them. I usually have a bottle of water at the desk anyway so just needed something to pour some water into. So I just dribble water onto a sponge that’s contained in this little plastic lidded box. I usually have some biots or quills soaking in there anyway.

Another cool thing that happens when I open the lid - the soaking materials stick to the lid of the box, leaving the sponge free for your fingers - or perhaps to squeeze a marabou plume through it. This is due to the sponge being thick enough to touch the top of the box when saturated. Also, the biots just slide right off the plastic with a fingertip when you’re ready to use one. Saves you from fishing around in a jar of liquid for quills!

Sponge1.JPG

Sponge2.JPG

The sponge in a box is a good one, doing double duty.  The finger licking thing kinda of grosses me out, but I'm lazy, and if I do it real quick, I don't know I'm doing it until its done.  

String up bead chain and hang larger flies to dry after gluing or painting.

You can wrap clear fishing line over bodies to make Crazy Charlie's, etc.  That was the original wrap.

Use different size nail heads to "paint" eyes or spots on flies and poppers.

When tying on a rib of any sort I leave about 1/8 inch uncovered. Make 2 turn of thread and fold the rib over and finish wrapping it in.

At the head I make three wraps, then fold it back and make two wraps and then whip finish.

Rick 

On 7/28/2023 at 2:06 PM, flytire said:

33-dubbing teasers.jpg

Why wash a used brush?  They're dirt cheap, and nobody in my house wears makeup. They work just fine out of the pack (and have lots of other uses.)