Fly Tying

Perhaps Horrocks-Ibbotson? . . . or was that the old Sears bamboo?  

I have an old H-I that I refinished years ago (which turned out to be much more work that I bargained for!).  I have a lot of respect for the guys that have the skill and patience to build or even refinish these old rods.  They surely are a joy to use in the right environment!  

Regards, 

On 11/3/2023 at 6:42 AM, DarrellP said:

That is true.  I bought a very sweet casting rod recently in an antique store for $80.  It was a Montgomery Ward rod from back in the day, and I paired it with a sylk line.

A great rod years ago is still a great rod today.  

I wonder about rods from after WW 2, when we cut off trade from China.  I suppose there was a lot of saved Tonkin cane, but still I wonder.  If H&I rods were of something other than Tonkin, I'd like to know what, as the ones I've owned were pretty good rods.

Here my old stuff. left to me by two different people who enjoyed owning them for a while and now I get to enjoy them for a little while. I don't really have a desire to rebuild the rods or fish them but I could have them restored.

I have a complete big game rod, and a complete fly rod with what appears to be a broken extra piece or tip for the fly rod. They are both six sided cane. The only markings I have are the South Bend label on the rod sleeve. There is a "1" stamped on the reel-retaining ring on the big game rod. Interestingly enough, the plywood box for the rods held together with glue and wooded pegs.

It looks like if I had an intermediate spinning rod and reel, of the era, my collection would be complete.

I don't know much about these things but I like them and I have a couple of questions. What would be a reasonable price to have the rods and box restored? What time frame are these rods from and what reels would you expect to have been mated to these rods?

Any information about this stuff would be helpful. Thank you.

20231114_113005.jpg20231114_113014.jpg20231114_113259.jpg20231114_114047.jpg

They look to be Japanese rods made for GIs after WW 2. There isn't much interest in them and unless it's there's a family/friend connection with it, it's probably not worth restoring.  

17 minutes ago, Gene L said:

They look to be Japanese rods made for GIs after WW 2. There isn't much interest in them and unless it's there's a family/friend connection with it, it's probably not worth restoring.  

Well, maybe I will have to do it myself then.