Fly Tying

6 hours ago, Gene L said:

IMG_0013.jpg.2ce269f7013a5dfa3e23e91cdd9f5698.jpgThis is my 7" 4 wt.  I tied up earlier this year.  It's sweet for blue lining.

Beautiful!!!

18 hours ago, John McCoy said:

Super nice! What taper did you use?

I have no idea.  And don't know how to determine taper after it's glued up.  (Or before it's glued up for that matter.) Do you have any way of telling?  I don't even know where the blank came from, I think I remember it being advertised as being made at home, but that may not be accurate. 

I'm not knowledgeable enough about cane to know the specifics on tapers; I was just curious. Tapers (at least the familiar ones) usually carry the makers' name and a model name or number, such as the Granger Special, Paul Young Perfectionist, Payne 100 or Dickerson 7613.

If you make the mistake of really getting into bamboo like I did a few years back you might interested in checkiing in to the bamboo forum. Unbelievable amount of knowledge on there and tapers are usually something determined in the building process. I see you bought the blank and went from doing a great job. Getting too deep into bamboo means getting too deep into the pocketbook but they are about the only rods I've fished the last few years I was able to get to trout waters. Sold all but a few but I have a couple of Penta rods (5 sided) I will try to hold onto as long as I still have hopes of fishing them.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum

Bamboo doesn't have to be expensive if your just a little handy and willing to spend some time learning the process on youtube. There are lots of quality blanks available from reputable builders on the net.  And lots of beat up rods that are just waiting to be restored.   I have and fish 3 bamboo rods, 2 of them I restored from left for dead condition.  One was given to me the other I paid $20 for in an antique store.  The third one I finished from a new blank using the knowledge and skills that I gained restoring the first 2.  I spent somewhere around $140 on each of the restorations for the parts and components needed.  The new blank on the 3rd one was $300 and came with 2 tips- so all in about $450.  That one is a 7' 6"  3/4 weight and has become my main trout rod, not because it's bamboo but because I just like the way it cast.  I can drop a fly close enough to my target out to about 30'-35' which as a small stream trout guy is all the range I need.  I have know idea how a pro casting instructor would evaluate it compared to say a $7,000 Oyster but given my average casting skills, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't notice a difference.  And given it's modest price I'm not terrified to actually use it in areas where there is the possibility of breaking it.

That is true.  I bought a very sweet casting rod recently in an antique store for $80.  It was a Montgomery Ward rod from back in the day, and I paired it with a sylk line.

2 hours ago, DarrellP said:

It was a Montgomery Ward rod from back in the day

Any idea who the maker was?