Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Writing this from moose stand.

MOOOOOOOOOOO MOOOOOO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I don’t know how to spell the noises moose make but this is close enough. Tough to get with a fly rod but hang in there and you’ll get one. 

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

MOOOOOOOOOOO MOOOOOO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I don’t know how to spell the noises moose make but this is close enough. Tough to get with a fly rod but hang in there and you’ll get one. 

Too funny

15 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Tough to get with a fly rod

need a blackfly pattern for eastern moose! not sure about Alaskan moose but anything with bear hair my put them off?😁

That first photo really struck a chord... My only brother lived in the MatSu area for more than forty years -- and every year, about this time... would be in the field looking for a moose... He's been gone now for over a year.  They never bought meat at the store in all of those years  - it was caribou, moose, a small black bear - and an occasional sheep for their table... The one time I visited them  -moose was the best eating... 

Great photo and hope that bull comes along.  I won't mention the hours of work required - after the kill... 

For awhile up northern MN they were all over the place. Fishing one morning I looked down the RR tracks for one of the mines and saw a half dozen grazing. Where I lived I could send  visitors up the county road a couple of miles and there was a pond on the Baptism River with pads and cabbage and there almost a few in there feeding. Got to be enough to have a hunting draw for them but now they've thinned down thanks to some disease from deer. Was really nice to have them up there except for me losing a fishing buddy when he took one on with his small truck and didn't survive. There were a few other incidents where moose were the bad guys.

Capt. Bob, I'm going to apologize for this and say I'm sorry you've lost a brother who you loved and loved the outdoors...But

"My only brother lived in the MatSu area for more than forty years -- and every year, about this time... would be in the field looking for a moose... He's been gone now for over a year."

I can't help but laugh at that particular phrasing. Did you consider sending out a search party?

Again, I apologize for my crudeness.  Nick

He'd have appreciated the humor (to put it mildly he was a wild man in his younger years...).  They moved up to Alaska all those years ago and I believe it was the making of him.  No war stories here - but he was shot and left for dead back in 1971 down near El Paso and most of our family had resigned themselves to his being a short life.  He thrived up in Alaska and really made a great life for himself and his family in my opinion...  He was the hunter - I was always the angler - and so it goes.  Yes, I'll miss him (and I'm the last of our generation) - but there are grandkids... 

I've shared space with mom's and calves on Atlantic salmon rivers in the past...and always gave them plenty of room!!!

So...Did you get a moose?