Fly Tying
SalarMan

Favorite Place To Fish

I've had the pleasure of fishing in many places here in the states as well as other countries. My favorite spot is without a doubt on the Grande River near Gaspe, Quebec. Amazingly clear water, beautiful Atlantic Salmon and stunning countryside. Naturally I've attached a picture or three of the river and the area. The large pool in the one photo is 30 feet deep and you could read the date on a dime on the bottom. Just a stunning place to fish.  Enjoy👍

Let's hear from others on this topic...it is always fun whether exotic places or close to home...they're all great.

QuebecSporting2010 283 (2).jpg

QuebecSporting2010 086.jpg

QuebecSporting2010 329 (2).jpg

All I can tell you about is my favorite places that I've fished so far, as I still have the waters of most of the U.S. and all of the world beyond to explore (I know I'll never get to experience but a small fraction of the whole, but a man can dream... :)). If you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick only one as my current favorite, I'd probably have to say the Pere Marquette River in Michigan. It's the trout river I know best, and the one where I've caught 99% of my biggest trout. The most beautiful water I've fished so far is probably Michigan's upper Jordan River - that place just looks ethereal and magic, like something out of Lord of the Rings. I've only fished out West a few times, in Utah (Jones Hole Creek), Colorado (Roaring Fork and tributaries), and Montana (Yellowstone, Lamar, and Slough Creek), but all of those outings were tragically short and sporadic due to the fact that I had my family along at the time and couldn't begin to explore them properly. The Nantahala in North Carolina was gorgeous in November, but I'd love to visit it in the spring to really see it show off. 

New Zealand, Slovenia, and Argentina are all on my must-visit-before-I-die list. 

For me the greatest joy in fly fishing is to catch stream bred wild trout. The size of the fish matters little, for me it’s about holding a beautiful jewel in my hand for just a few moments before setting it free. A dollar sized Brookie or Brown is all I will ever need and within a reasonably short drive from my home they can be found.  As the saying goes “trout don’t live in ugly places” and the woodlands of Massachusetts and New England still take my breath away.  For these reasons I have never had the desire to be a destination or trophy angler and so my answer is probably a little boring for most.  My favorite place to fish is on any of my local streams.   

I don't have a favorite local stream as they each have their own character but I do have my favorite runs and pools on each, here are some of them.

1997858995_TROUTBROOK5.thumb.JPG.030a66a4e254447acd15d8f182dee8ba.JPG

99107776_STILLWATER(1).thumb.JPG.2c3a1720c03d675a4894116c39b98eaa.JPG

Stillwater8.thumb.jpg.19177f1e3e1995afc3ab524f4bbad6b7.jpg

1466481819_SWIFTPARKING.thumb.JPG.197477dd49da6118637ce5fc1b374830.JPG

1994889204_CRANBERRY7.thumb.JPG.b16da5d0db39aa9faaf163d6c469c1cf.JPG

1637633668_French012.thumb.jpg.35bd8f38e39d9db26edacefe713d2232.jpg

192657949_FRENCH2019.thumb.JPG.ed40484e66c5e60159362d1d7ead8dc3.JPG

IMG_1256.thumb.JPG.95bc0c57bcf9cfeba88a5b9829f06c0e.JPG

760378566_LITTLERIVER2019A.thumb.JPG.31b608235afd1f07aee2b0cb07ba0fba.JPG

McKINSTRY7.thumb.JPG.c69a3f26c601a232042fe6bcd40e5e76.JPG

1615392649_QUINAPOXET1.thumb.JPG.1994524bfb7932f817140134f3083726.JPG

1553014801_SwiftRiver1.thumb.jpg.951d16c9341f4cf73bba1f751ee7747c.jpg

100% what @DFoster said. 

I could put photos up of my favorite waters, but they would look remarkable similar to his.  There is just something about the woods and streams of New England that calls to me. 

I have no specific places I want to go to, no bucket lists.  Just put me on a small stream with a rod in hand, with no one around that I don't know, and I am happy.  

Don't get me wrong guys...exotic places aren't always the best place to be. Just fond memories of special times.

I have 2 streams here in southeastern PA that I just love and have put more than my fair share of time on this small little limestone creek at the top of the list...especially when the hoppers are active in the late summer!!

PA270014 (2).JPG

PA270018 (2).JPG

@ DFoster, those pics look like very nice places to fish!! Maybe someday I'll get to go to those places.

The only place I have dreamed about fishing is lakes in Canada for Pike on the fly; hopefully I'll get there someday. If not, I will enjoy the places around me in Montana.

Never was one who dreamed of far off places, as I always had a great time where ever I have lived.  NIce thread!!

22 minutes ago, ggmiller said:

@ DFoster, those pics look like very nice places to fish!! Maybe someday I'll get to go to those places.

The only place I have dreamed about fishing is lakes in Canada for Pike on the fly; hopefully I'll get there someday. If not, I will enjoy the places around me in Montana.

Never was one who dreamed of far off places, as I always had a great time where ever I have lived.  NIce thread!!

I've never been to Montana but If I get the chance I'll have a rod with me.  

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

Don't get me wrong guys...exotic places aren't always the best place to be. Just fond memories of special times.

I have 2 streams here in southeastern PA that I just love and have put more than my fair share of time on with the small little limestone creek at the top of the list...especially when the hoppers are active in the late summer!!

PA270014 (2).JPG

George, I have nothing against anyone travelling to fish, I pack a fly rod when I travel.  I look forward to exploring new locations and/or targeting fish species that I don’t have locally.  Travel angling can force one to learn new techniques or skills, all of which makes one a more complete and better angler.  But my primary motivation to fly fish is really satisfied by the water and fish that I have nearby. 

Actually I should qualify what I said, I would really love to spend a week or two on those Pennsylvania limestone creeks, as well as some little Appalachian mountain streams. 

Let me add myself to the boring unimaginative side of this conversation. I can’t say my favorite spot because it is in the heart of a major metropolis 20 minutes from my back door. There is endless traffic buzzing by, freight trains, commuter trains, smoke stacks, smog, sirens, occasional gunshots and homeless drug addicts sleeping in vehicles at the put in. I’m really not sure why it’s not a destination for others because from a fishing standpoint it can be magical. While I do a fair bit of travel, I have no real yearnings to fish somebody else’s special spot especially when I consider it inferior to what I have in my own backyard. When I retire to my RV I will surely have a rod or two with me but I won’t be traveling for the fishing, I’ll be traveling for the travel. Except when I go to Alaska, I really want to fish Alaska and catch a halibut. 

Wife and I have been to all 50 States and I've been to 18 Countries.  I've fished in most of those places (not all, some were just travel)

The one place that will always be in my mind is Sheldon Lake ... east of Houston.  I caught 40 bass on a Saturday and another 30 on a Sunday.  Most of them were over 3 pounds with a few close to 8.   Best weekend I've ever had on the water.  Every time I've hit that lake, I've been able to catch enough good sized bass to give me a sore thumb from lipping.

As with statements above, I don't travel to fish ... but I do fish on my travels.  It's all about the fishing, and I don't remember ever being disappointed by the water I've been on.  I might not have caught anything, but it's always worth going out and trying.

Oh ... I was disappointed while in Monrovia, Liberia.  So much trash in the ocean there that you couldn't see anything else.  Floating trash when the wind blew it in, trash all over the bottom when the wind was blowing out.  Definitely NOT a bucket list destination for anyone.

On 9/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, ggmiller said:

On 9/22/2023 at 1:40 PM, SalarMan said:

I have 2 streams here in southeastern PA that I just love and have put more than my fair share of time on this small little limestone creek at the top of the list...especially when the hoppers are active in the late summer!!

PA270014 (2).JPG

PA270018 (2).JPG

I should add that's some beautiful looking water there George, you're lucky to have that close to home.

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

I should add that's some beautiful looking water there George, you're lucky to have that close to home.

My driveway to parking spot...52 miles. That creek is no more than 20 feet wide, is a spring creek and has some rather sizable trout thanks to lots to feed on.

My other SE Pennsylvania favorite (no pictures unfortunately) is a smallish tailwater. When the flow levels are right (175 - 225 cfs) the fishing is great...and always with dry flies!! This one is closer to home, that meaning it is only 50 miles from driveway to parking spot - HA HA HA