Fly Tying
CDewberry

Greetings from NorCal

Hey there. New to fly tying. I've had my father in law's fly tying box for several years now and dusted it off the other day. I think the box is from the 60s/70s era. I can barely identify the feathers, etc. Lots of Mustad hooks, some elk, squirrel, other exotics. Been a YouTube junkie watching fly tying last couple of weeks. Looking to tie for Trout and Steelhead eventually.  Bought a Traveller 2000. Still need to get the other basics.

Looking for ideas on DIY fly tying stations...

FlyBox.jpg

Trays1-3.jpg

Trays4-6.jpg

Trays8-9.jpg

Trays10-12.jpg

Hooks.jpg

ThreadandBobbin.jpg

Welcome to the forum. You've got yourself a really nice fly tying kit box there. Well designed and lots of goodies that will still hunt. 

I personally can't say anything helpful re tying stations I'm afraid, but welcome regardless and ask away.

Some fun tidbits re the pics you posted... (Not an exhaustive list

177204594_Trays1-3.jpg.db047e1d7ed94bfb7a09c3b0d9bba8c72.thumb.jpg.c39db7f7f7753768effa90177232a422.jpg

Red - your father in law bought wood duck flank at 29 cents! They've gone up

Purple - is that jungle cock? 

Green - is that polar bear or just good looking calf tail?

1590544055_Hooks.thumb.jpg.b6ca833bb663cce3c00719da991376582.jpg.44a91f79b91ae09c1e4a1b9b34fa3d21.jpg

These hooks are made in England, probably good quality and maybe special depending

1006284073_ThreadandBobbin.jpg.70d7bd1029fdc7db82dfdc7bfbcdb8042.thumb.jpg.2d134cf84bff068a30d0b38ec6e3316b.jpg

The old mustad 94840's are nice hooks (I think), and the spools there are Pearsall's Stout, a nice and hard to find silk for old style flies

Anyway, just enjoyed looking, have fun with it!

Welcome to the site. You can get an abundance of great information from members. As Chug said your materials give you an excellent starting point. Hopefully you can find a local fly shop that has some open tying nights. You can also find out what specific patterns work in your area for the fish you want and focus on those. 

Welcome. Except for a pair of scissors and a bobbin, It looks like you’re ready to go. 15 more bucks worth of tools and you’re ready to start. Its not a difficult process to tie trout flies so jump right in.

Thanks for the kind words and the circled items @chugbug27 Like I said I'm not sure what most of it is other than chenille, chicken feathers, the squirrel and elk hair.  I'm looking forward to tying. Cheers /Clayton

Here's a tying manual from the time your father in law was a boy

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.$b68572

Probably better off learning from more modern sources today, but the 1949 manual is surprisingly current and in time you might find it useful when you get more familiar with the stuff in that kit.

Welcome to the site. Nice little stash you're father-in-law had there. Good choice on the vice too, you'll love it. 

Don't hesitate to post more photos of any material you have questions about. 

As far as a tying station, my suggestion would be to find an empty surface and spend some time on the vise first, so you'll have a better feel for what you want actually want/need in your tying area.  Then go from there. 

Have fun!  It's a great hobby.  

CDewberry welcome to the site, I would look at Oasis Benches for ideas and starting dimensions but would tie for a little while to see what you want it to do. I am on my 3rd or 4th design change, and it is a somewhat continuing evolving design. My and desktop storage ideas are able to move between my home and travel trailer desks if it was home only my build would be different.

Welcome to the site from a born and bred central NYer.  I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 13+.  My swaps are open to all tyers and I encourage you to check one out.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Kim