Fly Tying
flyflinger

Saddens me to see . . . .

It appears that one of our peers is no longer tying flies, perhaps either because of illness or passing.  This eBay posting gave me a lousy feeling in my gut.  It's a shame there was no family member or friend to carry on the tradition.  I hope that he (or she) had a long enjoyable life using these materials, and is at peace wherever they are.           

Regards, 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375004920245?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=e112362.m1951.l3160&mkcid=8&bu=44054986107&osub=0e2b4b0eb08f2b525153015cc20c4834%7ETE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1%7E10001&segname=TE10001_T_NORMAL_CT1&crd=20231026090000&ch=osgood 

As of late there has been more used bargain bin material in the shop I visit, the owner is fair when he buys estates but with that said if you are estate planning it is best to let someone know what you want done with your tying collection. 

I'm not so sure why things like this sadden you. But I'm trying to see. Unless you know the person you don't really know the circumstances of this persons life or death. I don't know the person either but it looks to me like he had some leisure time to tie. It looks like he tied a very long time and had many hours of enjoyment doing so. I don't know, but to me, it looks like he/she had some expertise in the craft.

When I die, I will leave multiple boats, a shed full of fishing rods, too many fly rods to count and firearms to boot. I've hunted and guided up here for almost 40 years. I have seen and done things that most people will not see or do.

It seems to me the person that owned those fly tying things probably had his own kind of richness in his life. You haven't even seen his fly rods. When I die I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me, your guy could be the same way.

I feel sorry for the guy that never tied his own flies, or fished a high mountain stream with absolutely no one around for a hundred miles.

Please cheer up my friend. Be happy for that guy and maybe the guy that will get to use his stuff next. Also, remember this, all fly tiers go to heaven 😁. But probably not all fly fishermen.

i'm not saddened one bit

i'll die one day and my family will have to sort out my affairs per the instructions i'll leave behind

if they want to sell my fly-tying materials and fly-fishing equipment (if i haven't already done it) that will be up to them as none of them tie flies or fly fish

at that point i dont really care

In my profession, retired now, a craftsman’s tools were everything to him. Some of sold some or all of our tools, some did not.

My wife and I came across an estate sale of a former mentor of mine, all his tools were in the basement of his former house which was up for sale.

Yes, it did sadden  me to see my former colleague and at times mentor, “Bill’s” tools and belongings with price tags on them. A man’s life reduced to price tags.

I wrote a story about that experience and posted it on another site. I changed the facts and combined “Bill” with a couple of other people I have come across in my lifetime. 

If anyone would like to read it PM me and I will send you a link to the story.

TT

Since we are all going to die, death is a part of life. I choose to fondly remember the life lived and not the death or possessions at the time of death. As for my stuff, I leave no instructions and have no concern about what becomes of it. Throw it out, keep it, give it away, sell it, I don’t care. You can donate my entire estate to a cat if you want. Fortunately I didn’t raise idiots so I’m confident they will figure out what’s best for them. I do see someone getting a great deal on my 33 year old boat (I love my boat) and my fishing gear going to the landfill. I see my guns being chopped up into little pieces since I know my children don’t want them and wouldn’t want them out on the street in the hands of people unknown to us. Frankly, I’m okay with that as well. I hope that fellas family has fond memories of the life lived and that they get what they want for the stuff. Price seems a little high to me though. 

Fortunately the items in the link above have been sold to someone who now has the problem years from now

When I injured my finger at a job and almost lost it, I sold many fly-tying items.I still have a few I didn't sell. I sold it to a female member on this board.

I think it’s always good if you can pass on the things you cherish to family provided they will use them. I’m fortunate to have a grandson who loves the outdoors and has at least an interest in tying. He’s only 7 but I hope as he grows he will develop a love of our sport.  My own dad’s joy in life were his accordions. When he passed no one in the family played one. I knew he would want them past on  to someone who would use them and enjoy them. 

Concur, I'm hoping that one or more of my grandchildren will be interested in flyfishing - they're too young for me to tell right now.  My son is sort of lukewarm about flyfishing and fly tying.    As it was pointed out, there's really nothing we can do about it after we're gone . . .

Regards,