Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Trouttramp

Turkey Fly challenge. -VOTE for one.

This could be fun.
Ok, I’m putting the finishing touches on a turkey fly.

Im throwing out a challenge to tie up a Turkey fly in the spirit of the Holliday season

This sort of turkey fly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDeQrP68wB8

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/tie-steve-cobbs-turkey-fly

Also, If this goes, as a group , the best fly will will be voted on by the tiers, one vote per tier, and I will send a prize to the winner,. The winner  will not be me even if I’m the only entry.  I will donate the prize to the Christmas swap if no one else enters.
The prize will be a couple three of cards of black chenille because this fly takes ALOT of it, and a surprise gift or two.

Just tie one up and post a pic and it’s on. Any pattern you choose, freestyle it if you want.

Could be fun to see what you guys come up with. Hope this goes!

I will limit entry’s to Dec 1. 

I should be done with my turkey fly tomorrow and will post a pic.

Hope this goes, have fun!

Challenge for sure!  Don’t have that level of skill, but looking forward to seeing the entries!

Go for it

40 minutes ago, Squeezy said:

Challenge for sure!  Don’t have that level of skill, but looking forward to seeing the entries!

Go for it!

All in fun, 

Would patterns done up with maribou count (after all - every bit of the commercially available maribou comes from turkeys...)?  I've been buying and tying commercially with strung maribou blood quill - by the pound... for years and years.  Even though I'm no longer tying for shops I still have quite a supply in various colors...

3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Would patterns done up with maribou count (after all - every bit of the commercially available maribou comes from turkeys...)?  I've been buying and tying commercially with strung maribou blood quill - by the pound... for years and years.  Even though I'm no longer tying for shops I still have quite a supply in various colors...

Tie it with whatever you want.

Object is to make a turkey fly. Check out the video links. Use your imagination, have fun with it.

Or, as I believe it to be, to make a fly that actually looks like a turkey as opposed to a fly made from turkey feathers. I don’t have the ability but I also don’t have any  style so what the hell, somebody has to lose.  I’m in! I will post the first mess that comes out of the vice. Should be great fun. 

I went the traditional turkey fly pattern since I have zero creativity 
Hook - 1/0

Thread - White UTC 140/brown 6/0 uni

Tail - turkey tail feathers

Body - Natural deer hair, spun.

Legs - rubber legs

Head/neck - tan foam, brown ostrich herl

Beard - red micro chenille 

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_8356.jpeg