Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Tied up a bunch Jigs for ice fishing.

18 Jigs for ice fishing this season. I tied them in the most effective style and color for our lakes. It's been very productive.

20231201_171410.jpg

On 12/4/2023 at 1:15 PM, feathers5 said:

They look great. What weight are the jigs and did you buy them already painted?

Thanks, those are 1/8 oz. They were pre-painted. I have others in all white and silver head and other weights. Some I paint and some I don't.

Really Nice Mark! Based on your previous ice fishing pics I assume the target is trout. Are you tipping them with minnows or grubs or just fish them al dente? 

16 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Really Nice Mark! Based on your previous ice fishing pics I assume the target is trout. Are you tipping them with minnows or grubs or just fish them al dente? 

Thanks Poop, This winter, it's the regular four; rainbow, char, LL silvers and LL kings, plus a new species. A breeding population of burbot (some locales call them eelpout or lawyer) made it into the lake a few years ago and they are doing great. I caught about 12 out of the lake last year. The biggest was 37 inches long. Lots of fun.

We are allowed to fish 2 poles, ice fishing, so I usually fish one tipped with home cured shrimp or salmon egg and 1 jigged with nothing. Unsurprisingly, the one that is not tipped with bait catches most of the big fish while the baited one catches most of the other fish.

6 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Great jigs.  I am getting interested in jigs.  Tied some for my brother in law for Crappie.

Yep, they tie up fast and they are productive.

Merry Christmas all.

Looking good Mark!  We have burbot up at our Northern MI lake house too (Burt Lake) - they are a wonderful tasting fish!

Nice, Mark.  I haven't done any ice fishing years.  Since I had my knees and hip replaced.  The surgeons insisted I quit slipping and sliding on ice trying to catch fish.   They would work around here for crappie and bass fished with spinning gear.  I tie 1/32 and 1/20th oz jigs with marabou and bucktail to use with my fly rod.

23 hours ago, Squeezy said:

Looking good Mark!  We have burbot up at our Northern MI lake house too (Burt Lake) - they are a wonderful tasting fish!

22 hours ago, Philly said:

Nice, Mark.  I haven't done any ice fishing years.  Since I had my knees and hip replaced.  The surgeons insisted I quit slipping and sliding on ice trying to catch fish.   They would work around here for crappie and bass fished with spinning gear.  I tie 1/32 and 1/20th oz jigs with marabou and bucktail to use with my fly rod.

I'm putting the house out this w/end. I'm excited about it. Thanks for the kudos. We like burbot. We haven't kept any in a long time though. We try to keep the slipping and falling to a minimum. They hurt and I don't want to bust a hip.

Nice Mark,cant go wrong with bou.Couple old buddies trying to get together on the ice this season.Been years and most of us may not have too many ice fishing years left in us.Were gonna go last year but only had safe ice for about a week.

4 hours ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

Mark,

Have a great time on the ice. Minneapolis is looking at 50 tomorrow and the lakes are wide open. 
Tom

When I left Central Minn. 40 years ago we were having to wait till Dec. to start ice fishing. Now I wonder if they get to ice fish at all.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:12 PM, jcozzz said:

Nice Mark,cant go wrong with bou.Couple old buddies trying to get together on the ice this season.Been years and most of us may not have too many ice fishing years left in us.Were gonna go last year but only had safe ice for about a week.

Thanks buddy.

We put out the fish house yesterday. Caught 29 trout and char. I had on a very nice burbot. Like 40 inches long. Got to see him for a little while while we tussled, him at the bottom of the ice only 15 inches below the bottoms of my feet. It was great fun.