Fly Tying
Alc609

Rare dubbing

I don't use hard to find dubbing, bud would like to try seal.  I understand it's not the easiest thing to dub.  It's legal in Canada and England, but not here in the US.

For the vast majority of the time, I think it only makes a difference to the tyer,  not to the fish.  But that's one of the things that makes this hobby so much fun. 

2 hours ago, Alc609 said:

What’s everyone’s opinion of rare and hard to find dubbing?

The dubbing that's hard to find is the package that has fallen back behind the drawer.  A dubbing I like that is no longer available is Ligas Scintilla. Dubbings that are rare, but I don't really care about, would be Tup's and urine stained vixen fox.

29 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

The dubbing that's hard to find is the package that has fallen back behind the drawer.  A dubbing I like that is no longer available is Ligas Scintilla. Dubbings that are rare, but I don't really care about, would be Tup's and urine stained vixen fox.

I’ve got that vixen fur, I’ll find that original Tupps one day. I may buy goats or sheep lol

4 hours ago, Gene L said:

I don't use hard to find dubbing, bud would like to try seal.  I understand it's not the easiest thing to dub.  It's legal in Canada and England, but not here in the US.

Feathers MC has it (USA)

https://feathersmc.com/product/seal-dubbing/

eFlytyer too (USA)

https://eflytyer.com/product/badger-creek-real-seal-fur-dubbing-fur-assortment-dispenser/

Not sure how it's legal but if these two reputable shops sell it I'm pretty sure it is. 

Description

Badger Creek Real Seal Fur Dubbing Fur Assortment is real seals fur dubbing natural and dyed packed into a box. 12 great colors ideal for salmon flies, wet flies and steelhead flies. A must have for salmon fly tyers. This is antique stock and when sold out we likely won’t be able to replace it. Please note: colors may vary from colors shown.

i have some badger creek seal dubbing and its a real bitch to dub onto thread

10 hours ago, Alc609 said:

What’s everyone’s opinion of rare and hard to find dubbing?

what are you considering to be rare and hard to find?

have complete set of ligas dubbing, also complete set of scintilla, have seal, and a few others I collected 40 + years ago. try afican goat instead of seal acts and looks the same.

I have never said to myself, “I wonder where I can find some hand plucked winter ass hair of a hibernating grizzly bear.”  I don’t get into the weeds of fly tying and have never given rare or hard to find fuzz a single thought until now. I’ll stick with the not so rare and easy to find stuff.