Fly Tying
Alc609

Rare dubbing

additionally, any offer of selling materials shall be done in the classified section of the forum. not here

Dubbing (collections) are to me one of the great enigmas of fly tying - entertaining but confusing.  In almost 50 years of fly tying, I've collected almost every imaginable brand, texture, material, and color of dubbing . . . I literally have drawers full of dubbing, and yet a few months ago I ordered 10-12 new ones because somebody in a video said they were "perfect" for some fly they were tying.  As noted in this posting, some are now very difficult to find, especially in a certain material (e.g.: Tups "pink" in seal), but leave it to fly tyers to complicated everything, and thank goodness for that!  🤪  

example:  http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100746 

Regards, 

i wonder if the seal dubbing here is actually from a seal, which is prohibited in the US, or "Real Seal" which isn't actual seal, I suspect it's a trademark.  I have a couple of pkgs of that, and it's not seal fur.  Does anyone know for sure?

9 minutes ago, Gene L said:

seal dubbing here is actually from a seal

a bunch of seal showed up on the surplus market a few years ago it was used for insulation in soviet winter coats, many dyed this and marketed it. A note adult seal is or can be difficult to work with, baby seal fur gathered on the ice after shedding was the best to work with-- also being snow white it dyed well.

Hook and Hackle sold seal dubbing for a short while in the 80’s.  I picked up a bunch of colors.  They still have the paper hook & hackle tag in them.  A small fly shop in NE Mass had a small drawer full of seal packets that he got from another shop that went out of business.  I bought some black and different shades of olive that I use for seal buggers and haven’t tied a bugger with chenille for the last twenty years.  With the modern threads, the little spinning gadgets and a little YouTube instruction I find it easy to make a dubbing loop for lots of materials including seal.  Wish I picked up this technique earlier.

On 12/13/2023 at 7:58 PM, Gene L said:

I don't use hard to find dubbing, bud would like to try seal.  I understand it's not the easiest thing to dub.  It's legal in Canada and England, but not here in the US.

You can get real seal at Feathercraft.  The only way I can Dub it is in a loop.

A nice piece of water rat would be a real find.

I can't say I use any rare dubbings.  Almost all of stuff I use is brand name.  I do have one bag that is labeled "seal and orange", maybe it's actually seal or maybe seal is a color name?  I found it at a fly shop in a hand labeled  bag.  I can usually get the color and constancy that I need by mixing what I have.  I also have most of the commonly used skins, mole in a few colors, same for hare's mask.  Some patches of Australian opossum, kit fox, muskrat and squirrel.  I find working with angora to be difficult, a loop is the only way I can use the stuff I have.