Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Screwed

I got screwed of $225 on the Classic Flyrods site.  I responded to a pretty good deal on a fly reel.  The screwer was Christopher Bridge, and I should have known better because the reel was underpriced.  I was the screwee.  I post this even though it's probably not a site someone looking for easy cash would populate.  He insisted on Pay Pal friends and family, which has no protection.  Pay Pal is a wonderful site, I've ordered through them on numerous times, but Friends and Family offers no solution to a dirty deal.  That's another clue to dirty dealing. I look at this as an expensive lesson on buying things unseen.  I hope you never get stiffed by an on-line dirt bag.

i hope you blasted the bastard on the other forum

call him out over and over

call your bank and stop payment

Sorry to hear about that - people really can suck sometimes.

I've bought a few things off their classifieds.  I bought one of Mike Valla's books off somebody there a few years ago, when I received it about 80% of the photos had been cut out, LOL. The seller refunded my money, and paid for the return postage. Other than that I've never had an issue there. 

The Classic Fly Rod forum doesn't allow posts condemning others.  At least not in the Lodge or Classified forums.  I posted a Screwed on the Classified forums and they took it down.  I got a few PMs expressing sympathy from members there.  They're an honest lot over there and don't want a harsh criticism they can't confirm.  I'll figure out a way to get the bastard's name on there just not in the Classified section.  There is a caveat posted on the top of the page warning people to use care when bidding.

That sucks I'm sorry to hear that Gene. Never, ever buy anything sent as friends & family. As you found out there is zero protection on that. Even if its someone you have known on a site for many years, always send as good & service. I've had people that I have known on sites for years want to be nice and send me rod payments as F&F and while I appreciate them offering that, I always tell them no, send as good & services that way there is piece of mind for both parties involved.

And that is terrible they will not allow you to post that he screwed you over there. That just opens the door to him doing it to others as well. Have you tried getting a hold of whoever runs that site and talking to him about it to at least make sure no one else gets taken for a ride by this guy?

Well, they didn't allow it on theClassic flyroders Classifieds forum as I posted it in Screwed.  However, I worked around that fault and I posted the screwed part on the Classifieds forum while attempting to sell a Teton reel.  One member had also been screwed by the same guy.  I don't know when this happened, it appears to be that Christopher Bridge is playing the forums looking for victims. 

Well that sucks, and I hate to say this but it really was predictable. Anytime anybody wants to steer you to an Uber specific method of payment it’s a GIANT red flag. Anytime anybody wants to be paid in some non traceable form of payment, like F&F, gift cards, Zelle cash app, and the worst, Western Union wire transfers, it’s a giant red flag. You see this a lot with the Zelle app where thief's want you to sign up and pay through Zelle business. It’s because they can steal more from a business account than a personal account. 

Additionally, the guys name is not Christopher Bridge so blast him all you want it’s not him. Just like the product is fake, the account is fake, and the name is fake. This guy has a hundred names and products out there and another hundred names and products at the ready. He knows he is going to be discovered and “called out” in short order so he has plenty more names and products to throw out there on many varied and different forums in no way related to fishing. Could be fly fishing, cooking, car accessories, anything and everything. He/she could care less what happens on the forum after he has his money. 

It always comes down to, if it’s to good to be true it’s fraud, even if the payment was through a legit site that can be tracked because the persons identity is fake, the product is fake, the accounts are fake, everything is fake. Sorry for your loss but if your going to be buying and selling on the internet it’s best you learn how to spot a fraud and most importantly how to completely ignore to good to be true deals. 

Hey Gene, just a thought... You used PayPal friends and family, yes, which means PayPal won't protect you from the fraud. But if you funded your PayPal purchase with a credit card (i.e., not as a direct debit from your bank account), I wonder if calling your credit card company (not PayPal) to report the fraud might be the ticket? 

It's worth a try.  Earlier this year, my account was leaked and it cost the bank $5000.  And I re-booted all my credit and debit card.  I look at it as an expensive lesson I learned.  NEVER use Friends and Family to send money to a stranger. 

I wish I could get my hands on the swindler, but know I won't.  Best I can do is warn others about this.  I feel everyone on the bamboo forum already knew this.  The first time I reported him, I posted it in the wrong subforum which is the reason it was rejected.  They're good people over there.

I blasted the guy on the Classic forum.  I got a good response but one poster said I violated the site rules.  The name I misspelled: it's Christopher Brigde,  not Bridge.  Another email he used was [email protected]  Said it was his work email.  Right.  He reportedly was a new poster, which should have been a red flag, but I missed that caveat. Mia culpa.

Okay Gene, let's look at a few things on the CFRF I'm a moderator of the Classified Forum on.

ONE...I list and lock right at top of page to beware of scammers on WTB ads. I list need of 10 post minimum to post on Classified and unfortunately our server does not support building that into the Classified so I check ads a couple of times a day and delete those "join and sell" ads with pictures copied from somewhere else. I also ban the person from the site but that doesn't stop them coming back as someone new.

TWO...In the Classified rules it is strictly against our rules and Paypal rules to use Friends and Family to try to save a few bucks either way. If the person selling insists on F & F Run, don't just walk away from the scammer.