Fly Tying
DFoster

@#$% Battery!

For what it's worth-

I went to replace the single AA battery in my loon bench UV light which had gotten weak and discovered that threaded end cap wouldn't budge.  After I got it off with the assistance of a vise and pliers I found that the 2 year old brand name battery had badly corroded and pretty much welded itself in position.   I had to drill through it to get it out.  Still I was hoping to save the $40 light but the corrosion had gotten into the housing of the on/off switch and once I pulled it apart the switch no longer returns.  I think the corrosion ate the internal spring.  I have a $10 Cabela's UV as a back up but I really liked that loon.  Lesson learned- with the next Loon I will be removing the batteries when not in use.  

I hate it when that happens. Maybe you have some recourse.  

From the Duracell website:

DURACELL BATTERY GUARANTEE

GUARANTEE: If not completely satisfied with your Duracell battery 
product, call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00AM – 5:00PM EST). Duracell 
guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and 
workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery 
defect, we will repair or replace it at our option. Leaking battery 
and damaged device must be provided as proof of claim
. Duracell 
may deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of 
the batteries or device.

CAUTION: May explode or leak, and caused burn injury, if 
recharged, disposed of in fire, mixed with different battery type, 
inserted backwards or disassembled. Replace all used batteries at 
the same time. Keep in original package until ready to use. Do not 
carry batteries loose in your pocket or purse. Do not remove the 
battery label. 

Good luck with that, LOL  

Like most... I learned the hard way about flashlight batteries (or any kind of installation that uses small batteries...) since I'm around saltwater the most... In short - no matter what it is, your first move when you buy that small appliance is to carefully coat the threads on any battery cap or plate (you get the idea) with a light amount of grease to prevent any future corrosion problems from welding that part so firmly in place that you might need a hacksaw... Even today, as many years as I've spent dealing with this or that corrosion problem... I'll occasionally forget what I'm dealing with and have my share of troubles getting to those batteries that have bled out (or in some cases, the batteries are just fine - but the casing is welded shut from exterior corrosion.  Dis-similar metals (usually stainless fasteners into an aluminum metal structure) around a marine environment will always cause trouble if not paid attention to.  The best fix for that situation is a product called Tef-Gel and it's a lifesaver if you remember to use it - before corrosion problems get started... Just another of those "ask me how I know" deals at this end... 

"Aren't boats fun?"  "Aren't batteries fun? "

18 hours ago, niveker said:

I hate it when that happens. Maybe you have some recourse.  

From the Duracell website:

DURACELL BATTERY GUARANTEE

GUARANTEE: If not completely satisfied with your Duracell battery 
product, call 1-800-551-2355 (9:00AM – 5:00PM EST). Duracell 
guarantees its batteries against defects in materials and 
workmanship. Should any device be damaged due to a battery 
defect, we will repair or replace it at our option. Leaking battery 
and damaged device must be provided as proof of claim
. Duracell 
may deny claims of damage caused by misuse or modification of 
the batteries or device.

CAUTION: May explode or leak, and caused burn injury, if 
recharged, disposed of in fire, mixed with different battery type, 
inserted backwards or disassembled. Replace all used batteries at 
the same time. Keep in original package until ready to use. Do not 
carry batteries loose in your pocket or purse. Do not remove the 
battery label. 

Good luck with that, LOL  

Thanks for that- but it was an Energizer that was the culprit.  In any event I'll just end up replacing the light and justify the expense as a "lesson learned".

15 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Like most... I learned the hard way about flashlight batteries (or any kind of installation that uses small batteries...) since I'm around saltwater the most... In short - no matter what it is, your first move when you buy that small appliance is to carefully coat the threads on any battery cap or plate (you get the idea) with a light amount of grease to prevent any future corrosion problems from welding that part so firmly in place that you might need a hacksaw... Even today, as many years as I've spent dealing with this or that corrosion problem... I'll occasionally forget what I'm dealing with and have my share of troubles getting to those batteries that have bled out (or in some cases, the batteries are just fine - but the casing is welded shut from exterior corrosion.  Dis-similar metals (usually stainless fasteners into an aluminum metal structure) around a marine environment will always cause trouble if not paid attention to.  The best fix for that situation is a product called Tef-Gel and it's a lifesaver if you remember to use it - before corrosion problems get started... Just another of those "ask me how I know" deals at this end... 

"Aren't boats fun?"  "Aren't batteries fun? "

13 hours ago, flytire said:

spring ahead - change your batteries

fall back - change your batteries

Norm and Bob- that's good advise, which I intend to follow.

After reading this, I changed my batteries in my Loon torch.  It takes 3 aaa batteries and new batteries sure make a difference.

19 hours ago, Gene L said:

After reading this, I changed my batteries in my Loon torch.  It takes 3 aaa batteries and new batteries sure make a difference.

Glad my post helped, sadly for me I need to pay $40 for another loon.  I could have used that cash at the FF show in Mass next month.  Oh well-

many other lights that are way cheaper than a loon and do exactly the same thing

loon probably buys from china for pennies and overcharges $$$

ive used this one for years

21 LED UV Ultraviolet Flashlight Blacklight 395NM Mini Torch Flash Lamp For Pet Urine Stains Portable Black Light Flashlights (aliexpress.us)

leaves you with $39 to spend at the show

Thanks for posting the link Norm - agreed the Loon light is over priced.  I have a $10 Cabela's brand UV light that is similar to the link you posted and it works well.  Most likely I'll put fresh batteries in it and skip buying another Loon at least for now.  I definitely noticed that the Loon cured resin faster than my Cabela's light and I like that the Loon runs on a single AA battery.  Is that worth the $30 upcharge?  Probably not, it's that $1,000 vise vs $100 vise thing we talk about from time to time only this time it's UV lights. 😃