Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Heff2

Solarez Bone Dry turned gloopy

Today I learned that Bone dry crystallizes when exposed to cool temps.  I noticed that it was thicker than when I bought it and was a little annoyed due to the cost of it.  It still works but it’s not soaking in like it did when it was thin 

put the bottle in the microwave for 5-10 seconds and it will be good as new

My aggravation is with the damn CA on a brush. The worst is Gorillas Glue but have had the same problem with Krazy Glue. Before I get to the end of Krazy Glue or even half way through the Gorilla Glue it comes out hanging in a blob from the brush. End up throwing it out before I've used half the Gorilla or most of the Krazy. I know the cost is not as expensive as the UV stuff but still very irritating.

1 hour ago, flytire said:

This worked, thx Norm.  

Indeed you did,  again I’d add. Your collection of tips has saved me a bunch as I grow my material and tool collection.  Thanks for sharing you knowledge 

I prefer the original thin Krazy Glue that comes in a tube (and long ago learned not to buy it in bulk since a year or two down the road I'd find new tubes - that had already kicked off and were useless as a result.  I used to teach my fly tying students to carefully squeeze out a tiny drop - then apply it where needed since it's too easy to apply too much if you place the tube on your work - then give it a squeeze.  I use the stuff for both cementing during the tying process and as  a sealant / head cement alternative on the flies I tie and also on the thread wraps when I'm generating bucktail jigs in quantity... Here's a photo of how I employ it as a sealant on the thread heads of most saltwater patterns.... 

8yLxKj0.jpg

like a tiny paintbrush....

Thx Capt Bob,  I use gorilla glue too as an adhesive but I find it goes chalky when it dries for a head finish,  I'll give the OG Krazy Glue a shot.  I do like the dry time/lack of sticking my fingers together that Bone Dry gives me.  Now that I know to heat it I think it will have better shelf life too 

18 hours ago, flytire said:

Thanks Norm, you are always on top of the questions with great advice, I learn more little things that makes tying better

18 hours ago, flytire said:

+1

For Heff... if there's the slightest moisture in the area you're applying CA glue to... you'll get a chalky result.. I never see it on any of the patterns I'm tying once I learned about how it reacts to any moisture.  As an addendum water will kill any CA glue that's still in liguid form.  That's why, when I'm tying in bulk, using the stuff I keep a  tiny bowl with water close by.   Any glue on my fingertips is killed dead by just dunking them in water before the glue sets up (then a bit of scrubbing will remove any white residue later after my tying session..).