Fly Tying
78644GaDawg

Record of flies tied, logs, etc

3 hours ago, flytire said:

you could use a database like fly 2000 shown below

you can also use microsoft excel spreadsheet to document your flytying or even a word document

image.png

Thanks for the info. It shows what fields you would keep track of.. Thanks!

fly2000 is no longer available on the internet

pm me your email address and i'll send you a copy

3 minutes ago, flytire said:

create yourself a blog and catalog the flies you tied

heres mine

Flytying: New and Old (flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com)

LOL.. I already found your blog :) and love it!

Don't know why I did not think of that earlier! I'll create a template and use for each fly.

I have a blog, and I put a link on my blog to yours, so I can reference it. Mine is https://indianblanketadventures.blogspot.com/

31 minutes ago, feathers5 said:

You have a great blog.

thank you

its a work in progress

I have several friends and relatives who since teens, kept diaries or journals.  I really admire that.

I have been wanting to do some documenting too, so I’m glad you brought this up.

think to summarize the options:

Using your computer device: Online blogs, a private YouTube channel,  keeping info in a spreadsheet or document file/journaling program

buy a premade paper journal

The way the world is now, I worry about relying on digital books and info.  I have tons of digital books, but love a paper book in my hand.
 I have taken a few pictures of every fly I have completed, since starting a few weeks back.  I save the photos to a fly folder, so that’s good enough for most.  I honestly have about six flies I am super proud of and would like to make a printout for a three ring binder.  But really, only one complicated enough that I took pictures of the weaving process.  Most of them turn out like glorified dryer lint, lol.

It will be entertaining to scroll through the photo folder and see how I improve in a year. That is my biggest reason for documenting.  To see problems and improve.  As was pointed out, just about anything you think of has already been tied and named, unless you are doing art flies.  But I think journaling of any kind will never be regretted.

LisaLou

1 hour ago, LisaLou said:

I have several friends and relatives who since teens, kept diaries or journals.  I really admire that.

I have been wanting to do some documenting too, so I’m glad you brought this up.

think to summarize the options:

Using your computer device: Online blogs, a private YouTube channel,  keeping info in a spreadsheet or document file/journaling program

buy a premade paper journal

The way the world is now, I worry about relying on digital books and info.  I have tons of digital books, but love a paper book in my hand.
 I have taken a few pictures of every fly I have completed, since starting a few weeks back.  I save the photos to a fly folder, so that’s good enough for most.  I honestly have about six flies I am super proud of and would like to make a printout for a three ring binder.  But really, only one complicated enough that I took pictures of the weaving process.  Most of them turn out like glorified dryer lint, lol.

It will be entertaining to scroll through the photo folder and see how I improve in a year. That is my biggest reason for documenting.  To see problems and improve.  As was pointed out, just about anything you think of has already been tied and named, unless you are doing art flies.  But I think journaling of any kind will never be regretted.

LisaLou

Nice summary... Same reasons for me as you have indicated.

I'm debating between digital and paper right now. If I go digital, then the choice is EverNote or a website (free blog). Pros and cons to each

just find the system that works best for you

we can throw you ideas but in the end it has to beyour choice thats best

3 hours ago, flytire said:

just find the system that works best for you

we can throw you ideas but in the end it has to beyour choice thats best

Exactly and that's what I was hoping for. Lots of great ideas from the group. Much appreciated!

For some of the patterns that I tie, I keep a 3 x 5 index card with the pattern recipe (as I tie it) written on the front of the card..  On the back of the card, I’ll write a list of references (pattern books, YouTube videos, etc) which include the pattern.  I could do this in Excel, Word, or what have you, but I find this old school method works best for me.

I use a 3-ring binder with index cards in folder pocket pages. details include notes on measurements and materials and if it is needed a sample or master pattern but most now have been photographed and stored on a stick. I probably should do the same and digitize and keep the file on a stick or separate drive. It would be much easier to keep organized or make changes.