Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

4.5" bulldog clip as CDC / Dubbing loop clamp

Anyone use one of these extra long, straight flat bulldog clips in lieu of the Swiss clip or petitjean clips for setting up hair, fur and feathers on a dubbing loop? 

image.thumb.png.8360519ab95eab5c727e6c555f1833cb.png

16 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Anyone use one of these extra long, straight flat bulldog clips in lieu of the Swiss clip or petitjean clips for setting up hair, fur and feathers on a dubbing loop? 

Seems like it would work, but I would look at how well it closes at the handle end. Any gap can cause the clamped materials to be loose.

Here are instructions for a home made Magic Tool:

You will need thick foam blocks (from a thick pair of foam sandals), an old credit card, and a set of bulldog paper clamps. Cut a straight slit in the foam blocks from end to end. The slit has to reach to both ends of the foam blocks to be able to release the fibers later.

Put the CDC fiber stems over the slit in the foam block and pull the fibers into the slit by their ends. If the plumes do not extend over the end of the block and cannot be pulled in, use the old credit card to push the CDC fiber stems into the slit.

Use the paper clamp in the place of the transparent Petitjean clamp to hold the end of the CDC plumes. Open the slit in the foam block to release the fibers and you are in business. The CDC fibers are lined up, cut off the stem(s) and place the fibers into the dubbing loop.

With this simple set of homemade and cheap bought tools you can do what the Magic Tool does. See the method below:

https://www.pechetruite.com/Mouches/cdc-dubbing1.htm

On 2/2/2024 at 6:06 PM, chugbug27 said:

Tried long ago, but as Jaydub said, I think you will find that the back end of the clamp toward your hand doesn't hold material very well.  The pressure seems stronger at the tip.  

I've used the Petitjean Magic Tool (and accessories) for years and they work quite well.  But if buying today, I would go with the Stonfo clips (budget option), or the Swiss Multi-Clamp (Cadillac).  The latter works very well, lets you insert materials at the very top of the dubbing loop, and surgically remove perfect lines of deer hair from the hide. (see video)         

Regards, 

https://youtu.be/llRrlbLOz2s

Thanks all. I've got a cheap "homemade" version that works well enough for my purposes.  But it takes up space I was hoping to free up. I was hoping those compact surgical bulldogs would do the trick, but apparently not... So it looks like either the Loon D-loops or the Swiss clip... And just about now my analysis paralysis sets in.  Seriously, though, thanks. This is all good input.

Dental Miller articulating paper tweezers. I asked my dentist/dental hygienist. She gave em to me. You can also find em on the interwebs for like 8 or 9 bucks.  The jaws on these are 2.25" usable length.

17076817749546243167271013810999.jpg

17076817978248949917519006424867.jpg

My pleasure. I saw your post last night but was too wrapped up in my book......

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

Dental Miller articulating paper tweezers

Thanks Sandan, looks like another gadget I'll be on the lookout for the bench!

7 hours ago, cphubert said:

Thanks Sandan, looks like another gadget I'll be on the lookout for the bench!

No problem.Is there such a thing as too many gadgets?