Fly Tying

I ran a comparison of the prices of a 25-pack of standard dry-fly hooks sold by each of these companies.

Partridge and Daichi were each $2.00 + less than Tiemco and Umqua.   Why??

Partridge and Daichi are hook manufacturers - they actually make hooks so they have a lower overhead than Tiemco and and Umpqua which sell hooks that others make. So Tiemco and Umpqua have a higher cost of doing business that they pass on to the fly shops.

I buy Saber hooks from The Fly Shack. Saber hooks are The Fly Shack Brand about $8.00/100 hooks. 

https://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=640

19 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

Partridge and Daichi are hook manufacturers - they actually make hooks so they have a lower overhead than Tiemco and and Umpqua which sell hooks that others make. So Tiemco and Umpqua have a higher cost of doing business that they pass on to the fly shops.

I buy Saber hooks from The Fly Shack. Saber hooks are The Fly Shack Brand about $8.00/100 hooks. 

https://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=640

Outstanding price! How is quality compared to those four?

14 minutes ago, AdmiralB said:

Outstanding price! How is quality compared to those four?

The hook points are acid sharpened like the major brands. You may find an occasional hook with an eye that is not completely closed but most of the time all the hooks are fine.

I used to tie on Tiemco hooks. I do fly tying at demonstration events for TU and FFF and give away my flies. That got expensive so I started buying the Fly Shack hooks to tie at these events and then I finally gave up buying the expensive hooks and now tie all my personal flies on these hooks unless there is a specific hook shape that Fly Shack does not make.

I think you should make your own evaluation by buying a few to try. They are so popular that sometime they are backordered.

Check out Green Caddis hooks - https://gcoutfitters.com/collections/greencaddis-fly-tying-hooks.  They use the same numbering system as TMC and the hooks run $1.75 for barbed/$2 barbless - all 25 count units.  I use them and they are a good quality hook for a great price.  Only problem is that they often sell out fairly quickly.

Kim

10 hours ago, AdmiralB said:

I am a fly-fisherman, not bait, and have been so for 65 years.

if you're offended about "bait fisherman" under your username, everybody that's new to the forum gets it. after a certain number of postings, it will change to whatever is next in the forum software. as a moderator, i have no way of changing it

I've used all of the above with no complaints, as well as Wholesale Fly Company.  

I agree with niveker, been using wholesale fly hooks for a while. I don’t see much difference in quality (or hookups) . At $7 per 100 they are a great value. Also free shipping on $25.

+1 on recommending wholesaleflycompany.com. I have been using their hooks (dry, wet, nymph, and streamer) for years and have never gotten a bad one from them. They have great prices on beads, eyes, and other things, too. Really great company, highly recommend.

i use mustad heritage hooks

i only by when jstockard has the hook sale

i dont tie enough to buy bulk packages of hook

my current supply will outlast me. not too many years left on this planet

I’ve been using the Saber hooks and am happy with them.  I also recently tried some Togen’s hooks.  They seem similar to the Sabers.