Fly Tying

When tying a fly using dubbing to develop a thorax do you use waxed thread or wax that you place on the thread itself? I tried using a non waxed thread but not working very well.

All answers would be appreciated.

Tightlines

Sometimes both, sometimes just one or the other, as often as not just good old spit.

There is no need to use wax or waxed thread.

The best fly tyer I have ever met is Royce Damm. He won the  1994 Buzz Busek award from the FFI;

https://www.flyfishersinternational.org/Portals/0/FlyTyingGroup/FTGDocuments/Buszek/1994_RoyceDam.pdf

I wrote about his method of dubbing here:

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/sticky-wax-question.917045/#post-1672183

If tying with UV Ice Dubbing, the use of wax may reduce the effectiveness of the UV reflecting components of the dubbing.  With Synthetics like Ice Dubbing I like to mix in some squirrel dubbing or other fine dubbing to make the application easier.

All good advice. I'd add this ..

The dubbing wax that typically comes in a chapstick type container (only a bit larger) can be added to your thread to help with a dubbing loop or dubbing noodle or touch dubbing, etc. It has a gooey consistency. It's not needed: some use it, some do not.

It can be added to thread whether the thread is waxed or not. Factory waxed thread has a better grip than unwaxed, on itself and on all materials, but is not essential to forming a dubbing loop or a dubbing noodle, and even factory waxed thread will not help much if at all with touch dubbing.

Lol I never even thought about spit.

Will definitely try it.

Just had trouble keeping the dubbing rapped around the thread and staying.

Tightlines

Twist the dubbing on in one direction. Don’t roll your finger back and forth. 

I make a small noodle with the dubbing and then tie the end on to the hook. Then wrap the dubbin on the thread.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:24 AM, john1962 said:

using dubbing to develop a thorax

And whether wax or no wax, here are two more techniques to try besides a thicker dubbing noodle....

Split thread dubbing loop for more delicate applications (1:09 in):

https://youtu.be/3l7QFlm2Sqw?si=olb6y0uHEiomCSuv

Regular dubbing loop for bulkier applications:

https://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part144.php

Now that is something I have to try.

I have to purchase a couple things, that pliers he's using is one of them, I have learned the whip finish, lol I don't know why I couldn't do that before it's so easy, but I must say using  half hitch first to lock in your thread first I a great idea.

When I was a wee Ladd in the early 70s my grandfather made his own fly rods and all his flys from herter, he tried often to get me involved, was to interested in sports, now I wish I took the time. Its a very satisfying hobby. 

Thank you so much

Tightlines

To build up a body or thorax, I will sometimes I dub over an area twice with a thin noodle of dubbing instead of one thick one.   Dub forward, wind thread back through what you just dubbed, and dub again.  

3 minutes ago, niveker said:

To build up a body or thorax, I will sometimes I dub over an area twice with a thin noodle of dubbing instead of one thick one.   Dub forward, wind thread back through what you just dubbed, and dub again.  

These are all great tips, I just think at times it's sad I waited so long to get involved in this hobby, I really enjoy it, and it's so satisfying. If only my hands where steadier.

I do have I purchase a desk lamp for sure, no matter how much natural light I have it's not enough, lol blind as a bat, hope the trout are too when say look at my flys.

Tightlines

2 hours ago, RickZieger said:

I make a small noodle with the dubbing and then tie the end on to the hook. Then wrap the dubbin on the thread.

Great tip, when I first started this @1 week ago, I thought hhmmm can't be so difficult, I must say it's not that easy but very rewarding. Just have to work on my technic using the tips that I've received from everyone here. 

Never give up

Tightlines