Fly Tying
dbirish

first time post from iraq

hello everyone my name is sgt thompson and i just started fly fishing in the last two years or so but have not learned how to tie flies. I am currently deployed in iraq and figured now is as good a time as any to learn and maybe help pass the time by. I dont really know where to start though. I would appreciate any information on what books to get my hands on or equipment i might need to get started. Thank you if you can help. dan

First off Dan

Thankyou for the service to our country.

The beginners corner has lots of info about what to get started with. Most reccommend not getting a kit because you will outgrow it very quickly. I think we even have some online videos by the great Al Beatty (Sorry if I spelled it wrong Al) that are very helpful to the beginners.

I have a cheap rotary vise I could send you just to get started and a few extra materials If you are interested. Send me a P.M.

And finally welcome to the site we are happy to have you join our community

Duckydoty

First I would like to say thank you for the awsome job you and your brothers are doing in Iraq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif I am a self taught fly tyer I have only been tying for about 10 mos and I have gotten pertty good (I think laugh.gif ) But you have come to the right place this site is full of very helpful and insperational people!!! headbang.gif The way I learnd was to get a for beginers book and I learned the terms and tools (basics anyway) From there I would just go to my local shops and find the flies that I like to fish and study them go home and try and try again. I wish all of you who are dedicated to our safty here at home Gods speed and thank you again for your work! May God bless all of you!!!! Matt

PS Do you have/need a vise?

Welcome to the Forum-Dan headbang.gif

Thank you and your men for the service you are doing for our country. headbang.gif

You have indeed found the right site for flytying, beginner or an old pro. biggrin.gif

If there is anything you guys need, dont be afraid to ask.

Be safe and God Bless!

Leaky

Welcome to the site Dan and I'll echo everyone else's thank you for doing what you do!

Ant particiulars in type of fish you'd like to tie flies for. Something to play with there or something to stockpile flies for when you come home?

Welcome to the site, you have found the best place to learn a few tricks and tips! Hell, there's a tonne of knowledge here and the people are great too!!

Hey T~

PM me an address and I can get a package of fly tying stuff together for ya. Yeah, I spent 15 months over there and I know what it's like. Hey, it's a great time to learn how to tie and start getting your flyboxes full. I have a couple of books I could send you as well to get you started. Take it easy.

ArmyFlyFisherman

10th Mountain Division Light Infantry

"Climb to Glory"

Sgt. Thompson,

Thank you for the sacrifice that you, and your family, are making on behalf of all freedom loving people. I just bet you see it as a job, but you are a part of something much greater and nobler than most people realize. May God protect you and your comrades.

Now, as for tying, I too, am largely self taught. Having said that, I can tell you that for many years, I had mastered bad/wrong/incorrect techniques! If you have any opportunity to take classes or work with an experienced tyer, you will save a lot of headache, frustration and poorly tied flies. But remember two important things about tying: 1. When it stops being fun, walk away from the vise. 2. The fish are really the final arbiters of what is a "good fly".

My best wishes for a safe tour. If you ever run into Sgt. Steve Turnbloom, a mortarman out of Fort Campbell, tell him "Stack" said hello!

All the Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

my hats off to you and all the guys out there. if you could PM me your address i would also put a few things together to help you along in your adventure with feathers and hooks. stay safe and take care, Bud

I was wondering if you could also send me your address over there, as I would like to donate some stuff that might be of use to you. I'll send you the vise that was given to me by wickedcarpenter, as I upgraded already, and figured I should pass it on like he did. If you need anything else(food stuffs, sanitary products etc) Let me know, I'm sure theres something you might need. I really appreciate what your doing for this country.

Cheers,

Mr. Jingles

Hi Guys

Maybe we could get a collection going and send it off all at once? I would be willing to throwing a set of the CDs I produce to the cause if they would be of any use?

http://www.hatchmasters.ca/Patterns%20On%20CD.htm

Sgt Thompson ... I'd like you to know Canadians appreciate the service you do as well. You guys are a model for the world! Are hearts are with you

Dale

Count me in! Sarg. Thanks for looking after us out there you guys are awsome. Hopefully we can put a good bunch of stuff togather for you and welcome to the site! headbang.gif

i agree with everyone. I am also new to fly tying but I will try to help if you need anything. I don't have much i can really send but if a bunch of us are going to send some stuff over I could tie up a bunch of my favorite flies and send them on over. Its addicting. One day your content fishing with a spin cast rod then you think wow those flies look cool and try tying one in a mechanics vice. It sucks and you know it but you start to dream up tons of others to tie and before you know it your stuck with an addiction. and a need for a fly rod. laugh.gif

Seth

hello everyone

wow what can I say except for thanks. I came to this site for just a bit if information on tying tools and tips and really didnt expect this. I told a bunch of guys in my unit about it and they cant believe it either. I really appreciate all of the support from everyone here. also anything you guys send would be great. i do a lot of trout fishing, also small and large mouth bass. well thanks again. dan

sgt thompson daniel

306th mp bn

apo ae 09342