Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
James Daly

Greeting From PA home of manic weather!

Hello to all!

I'm absolutely thrilled to be on this forum. Looking through the database I see some absolutely mind blowing talen out there. Can't wait to share and learn. As they say.....Tight lines.

James D. TB7

p.s. anyone from pa get out to a stream over the past two days. Run off is terrible but the weather was in the 40's.............heat wave!

Welcome to the FTF Troutbum7. This is a great place to learn and a great online community that goes world-wide. I hail from the mid-state Camp Hill, just west of Harrisburg.

What part of PA are you from?

Two more PA guys and we take over the world.

Conehead

Conehead,

North West. I'm from Franklin, PA. 1 Hour south of Erie. Ever heard of Oil Creek, Little Sandy Creek? They are both about 15 minutes from my house............spoiled kid here. LOL -James D TB7 :headbang:

Just below you tb7. So your saying you know the oil creek pretty well eh? Just so happens we may be heading out that way soon. :)

Awesome to hear that guys!!! :D

I fish Oil Creek very hard. Early Season, I love Little Sandy. Now, that being said, Little Sandy is money year round, but I love it most early season. Here's a question.........Have you guys heard of Hemlock creek?? If you haven't, you MUST check this stream out. It's a little bugger, about the same size as Little sandy, with one exception. It meets up with the Allegheny = Monster Browns!!! :headbang:

James D TB7

Here's the scoop on the Hemlock,

A) The best time to catch the big ones is late summer/early fall. I.E. their spawn run. The majority of these fish come up out of the river, spawn and run back down. So, that being said, you've got a window in late August, September and your chances of hooking up are multiplied.

B) Now, there are resident browns, but these pigs are tough. I've only found one way of hooking..............crayfish patterns. The reason I know this is that you'll run into bait guys (very few) that have a hook, sinker and are flipping rocks for crayfish. Crawdads will produce fish in excess of 24". I've tried everything from tiny midges to TNT (jk) to no avail. Crazydads, etc. are the way to go

C) If the browns aren't biting, there are plenty of rainbows and brookies to boot. Here's the added bonus to hemlock creek. There is a run named Porcupine run............THIS RUN HAS A SELF SUSTAINING POPULATION OF WILD RAINBOWS!!!! LOL The kicker of it all, it's 20 ft from a pull off on the road. All you have to do is walk up stream a little bit and you're in the mix. :headbang: :yahoo: :headbang: For the dry fly enthusiast it's got a couple good hatches also. I hit an isonychia hatch thick enough I was eating them.....so it's a great little stream and not a ton of people fish it. Nice little reprieve from the crowds on Oil Creek during the March Brown, Grey Fox and Sulphur hatches too. James D TB7

Hey, welcome to the site! I'm from over in Akron and get over to fish your area a bit, maybe we can hook-up sometime. I was really enjoying exploring some new areas around there this past sring/early summer. I'm really developing a fondness for PA. :)

I had a dream where I died and when I opened my eyes and looked around, I asked, "Is this Heaven?"

An angel with a fly rod in hand replied, "No, this is Pennsylvania. . . . same thing"

Conehead

PS: Now I have an even beter excuse to hit the western part of the state. Heading to PGH this weekend, hope to hit pine creek for a few hours.

Here's the scoop on the Hemlock,

A) The best time to catch the big ones is late summer/early fall. I.E. their spawn run. The majority of these fish come up out of the river, spawn and run back down. So, that being said, you've got a window in late August, September and your chances of hooking up are multiplied.

B) Now, there are resident browns, but these pigs are tough. I've only found one way of hooking..............crayfish patterns. The reason I know this is that you'll run into bait guys (very few) that have a hook, sinker and are flipping rocks for crayfish. Crawdads will produce fish in excess of 24". I've tried everything from tiny midges to TNT (jk) to no avail. Crazydads, etc. are the way to go

C) If the browns aren't biting, there are plenty of rainbows and brookies to boot. Here's the added bonus to hemlock creek. There is a run named Porcupine run............THIS RUN HAS A SELF SUSTAINING POPULATION OF WILD RAINBOWS!!!! LOL The kicker of it all, it's 20 ft from a pull off on the road. All you have to do is walk up stream a little bit and you're in the mix. :headbang: :yahoo: :headbang: For the dry fly enthusiast it's got a couple good hatches also. I hit an isonychia hatch thick enough I was eating them.....so it's a great little stream and not a ton of people fish it. Nice little reprieve from the crowds on Oil Creek during the March Brown, Grey Fox and Sulphur hatches too. James D TB7

So uhh, you wanna play guide? :) Sounds like fun. And maybe I'll catch a fish there. :rolleyes:

BTW, welcome from Pittsburgh.