Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
duckydoty

Local fly shops?

Seriously, a fly tyer walking into a fly shop is like a crack head walking into a crack house. You know what you came for, you'll probably get it, but with unfortunately you might leave with something else you don't need, but it's seems like you do. I walked into Natick Outdoor Store in MA for backing on a new reel. 6 bucks! not a bad deal I say to myself. Then while he's putting it on, I get to looking at the materials. Need a new hackle plier, add it to the basket. Deer hair labeled "comparadun deer hair", gotta see if it's worth the money, add it to the basket. Minnow maker tubing? whatever, add it to the basket. browsing the threads...grey 8/0 and some nfty looking vinyl stuff, that would make a good nymph, add it to the basket. 10 minutes later I have close to 20 dollars in materials, + the six dollars for the backing. Let this be a lesson to you. The longer you browse the more you buy! Not that I don't mind giving my money to afly shop, the deserve it.

cheers,

Mr. Jingles

Thats my problem, always end up spend more than the wife can appreciate. I like supporting the local guys. They cant be beat for information and tips, but I feel like I get suckered like a kid in a candy store

Duckydoty

Good Day,

I hear you all on the expenses utilized at the shop. Usually knowing what I want I caan pretty well guess what I will be paying. But just in case a few extra dollars for that surprise or new item. I am surprised at how I somehow manage to keep it in line! But as mentioned before, my local guy gives me the occasional freebie or discount on new stuff, or when he feels like it. Afterall, I have been going to this shop, under two different owners, for nearly 20 years! Now I am only 36 now.... so since my early days they have been there for me in one way or another unlike any other. Supplies, ideas, teaching, knowledge, etc. Also, I have been able to negotiate a great deal for our fly club with this shop. 10% of all purchases made by club members, who must identify themselves with their membership card prior to purchase, is placed into an account for the club to buy things when they need them like tying supplies, rods, reels, etc. Certainly not something he had to do, but we are very happy that he is. A simple yet very important way to give back to the communiy. Yet another reason I return "home" for my supplies.

Bedtime drugs beginning to kick in.... keyboard becoming blurry.... time to get to bed soon!

Steelie

I always support my local B&M even if the purchase is small as I want them to know that they are important and always provide me with some good info on which waters are fishing good. :)

Always make a point of picking up something, even if it's small. I do this at not just "my local shop", but when traveling, I try to go to that area's "local shop" and while there, I try to make a purchase.

However, I've been tying for close to 30 years (salt, warm, & cold water tying - 24's to 8/0), and I have a ton of "stuff" (Yes, I'm a materials hog! - It's a sickness...). Often times when I visit a shop, I have to "try hard" to find something that I "need"...

You see, once your tying room "fills up", often, it can be tough to find anything that you can "justify" purchasing at the "local shop".

It is amazing to me how many shops across this country "survive" by only stocking "basic" items.

Yes, I know you can always use some more hooks or eyes, but before making a feather purchase, I really like to "put my hands on" them. I want to inspect those necks and saddles or see exactly what the latest and greatest shiny stuff actually looks like.

Ya' cann't do that when ya' "order" from a "big house". That is where a local shop has the opportuntiy to shine.. and make sales, but too often the tying stock at the local shop is much less that what I've got back at the house!

I know a number of current and past shop owners, and I understand that they usually cann't afford to put a bunch of money in slow moving inventory, but it is this same inventory that we are "drawn to" when we visit their shop!

How can I buy another dyed Hungarian Partridge or Guinea skin , if the shop only has a small bag of loose feathers! You see, I already have 4 or 5 colors of each. (I told you that I need help!)

But I stil try to find something, because if we don't support these shops...many of our favorite gathering places (shops) will disappear!

Ok guys let me sum this up, you know when your wife or girlfriend goes to the mall or wherever they go, same goes for them they cant go just for a visit. The local flyshop is kinda like the guys mall :dunno: :)

Ok guys let me sum this up, you know when your wife or girlfriend goes to the mall or wherever they go, same goes for them they cant go just for a visit. The local flyshop is kinda like the guys mall :dunno: :)

Kinda funny, last time I went to the Mall with my friend we stop into Dick sporting goods for me to look at some stuff, she runs off. I find her about 5 mins later with a new sleeping bag, she gets it because it is pink. We stop in a few of her store and then we get over to the other side of the mall which has Orvis. I of course stop in to look around and see if there is anything I can't live without. She found some shirt that she could not live without. Moral of the story, I don't get anything in "my stores" but she does, and "her" stores she found nothing.

Can't do it! There's 3 fly shops within an hour and a half drive from my place so I'm never making a trip unless I already have something in mind.

I find the problem is the "nickel & dime" effect. I'll go to get oh.. lets say two big(ish) items. New scissors and some dry fly hackle. But then I'll notice the rabbit strips ($2) , some thread ($2), zap-a-gap ($6), some tippet, ($12), a new fly box ($28), then hey.. look a new tying dvd ($35)... etc.

It' s the inexpensive stuff that ends up making every trip close to a $200 fiasco. Good thing my fiancée doesn't read these forums! :ph34r:

~jk

I have 2 shops here in pigeon forge i go to about 5 times a week,Orvis and Bass pro shop.Orvis is a little more on the expensive side but i always buy something when i go in bass pro.Like just today i went in to just look and baught all kinds of dubbing,feathers etc...BTW Bass Pro has life cycle dubbing for an amazing price of 1.75$!!!!

For me to walk out of one of the local fly shops empty handed is next to impossible. This is the time of year when I'm stocking up for the time when I can hit the waters and not the shops.

I'm very lucky that I have 4 local shops that I can stop at on the way home from work and every one offers different products, services, etc. I'm also extremely lucky with being able to have a co-worker who can tie flies for me too. I can't tie a fly to save my soul so I'm a buyer and not a tier, but between us, we've managed to come up with some interesting variations on some patterns.

So far this year, I've supported the local shops and tiers with the purchase of a 3 of new rods, a few reels, lines etc., not to mention a healthy number of flies. In spite of the damage to my wallet, I love hanging out at those shops just because of what I learn, the high level of service that I get and people it's been my pleasure to meet and do business with.

Ernie