Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Redwings1

IRCs

Some may be aware of this and some not, I would qualify in the second group until today. IRCs do not cover all cost of shipping...they are good for 80cents US. That means that to ship a typical swap set from US to Canada, or vice versa, you likely need 3 or 4 IRCs to cover the whole expense! I know that I may well have been guilty of sending not enough funds to cover the return in one case.. :o

I found today that the best way to get the right amount is to have your unsealed package weighed at the Post Office and then get enough IRCs to put inside before sealing to cover the whole cost to get it back.

Over here in the Netherlands we don't have those IRC's. So we have to contact the Swapmasters to work things out.

well they do in canada! I had one on one of my last swaps It was like 80 cents extra fr me to ship it out

I know that we say not to send money in postal pack but how do we handle this. Each one of the IRC's cost I beleave $4.53 to purchase. At that for a postal rate we would be looking at $15-20 for swaps.

I use the IRC since it was stated in the guidelines.

i have a few questions concerning the packaging and customs. I am assuming that customs can open packages for inspection? Do they open letters also? When i sent my flies to Damian I put the cash in a white envelope in the package with the flies to make it look like a letter rather than just money in there loose. I dont remember but i think i also added his address just incase it somehow got seperated from the original package.

Is it safe to send cash in an envelope? if so that may be a viable solution. it will cost a little extra postage but may save a few hassles.

Perhaps we should look in to using something like Paypal to distribute money for swaps. That way there is a way we can be sure the right amount of money makes it and it will only cost a few cents to do so.

What do you guys think...? :dunno:

I believe customs can open letters or packages that they feel are warranted opening.

far as sending money in the mail. It's not really what I would call SAFE but if you do then try to do a couple things.

1- never send coins. Coins are prone to tearing an envelope and can fall out.

2-If you send paper money then put the money in the tin with the flies, not separate. Some SM's frown on having money sent to them because that just makes it hard on them to have to buy stamps. For out of the country swappers though it may be a good solution to the problem. Just get ahold of the Sm before hand to work out what is best before you send anything.

Contacting the SM is a good idea, I actually like redwings1 suggestion of using paypal, a really good idea.

Perhaps this is something to consider.

good discussion.

Another possibility is to have the swapper send a few extra flies of interest to the meister...essentially the meister buying a few flies to cover the cost of return shipping.

Don't send any packages in a standard letter envelope. If you do it will hit the letter sorters and may be damaged. The post office workers have always told me the safest way is with a small package envelope those do not go into the same sorter.

Also, if you do want to send a buck or two in the tin to cover costs send it in us dollars. I have a bunch of canadian money that I can't change anywhere other than probably an airport. The banks I use insist on multiples of 50$ or more.

Most of the time if its around a dollar or less I'm fine if someone throws in a few extra flies. (Provided they contact me first.)

I put in a 5 US-dollarbill to cover the costs. If there's a bit left I ask the SM to put in some US stamps. I do have a few stamps already yet. So if i have enough I can make the return envelope :)

I think the paypal method will work also. Just like te option to make some flies for the SM.