Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

fly tying room

I posted a question the other day on the TFF about where I could get antique fishing gear for a log cabin home me and my g.f. are gonna be moving into this summer hopefully. It's taking awhile due to the friends son who's building her home is takin his time. But we dont mind, it's his mom. But anyways, it has a huge loft in which the g.f is gonna give me rein over for a tying room. I want this loft to look rustic. I mean a river runs through it rustic. I'm talkin old bamboo rods, antique reels, old fishin photos, ya know good ol days stuff. I've always loved the classics(music, art, decor, cars). So, my question here is how would you set up your fantasy tying room. If someone gave you a room all to yourself, and had endless finances to set it up, what would it look like?

It would probably look like a fly shop from the late 1960's at the front of a rod builders workshop setup in the back room, where there are lots of rods in handmade oak rod racks, an endless library of fishing reference & a few pieces of artwork, pictures & maybe a few taxidermists trophys with wooden / glass display cases for the reels. Wait, that seems to be almost what's scattered over 3 rooms I'm storing fishing stuff in B)

I'd have storage -- lots and lots and lots of shelves to store everything from #28 midge hooks to Argus pheasant secondary feathers nearly 3' long!

In a corner away from the tying bench I'd have running water and a hot plate for dyeing materials. In another corner I'd have a photo bench equipped with a tripod, lights and an assortment of backgrounds.

On the walls would be shadow boxes of flies, art prints of fishing scenes and maybe a couple of old cane rods and a wicker creel.

Floors would be hardwood -- white oak to match my custom-made tying bench. Walls would be wainscoted with white oak, but from the chair rail upward they would be drywalled and painted in a neutral linen shade.

Furniture would be forest green.

Now, if I could just convince the missus... :ripped:

John

I "know" this is an old post but I had to say that I thought "I" liked fishing...well...you win Steve!

All kidding aside, awesome space and I hope you are still enjoying it and getting out where the fish live too!

LOL This IS an old post!

If the above is version 1.0 ... Then Steve must be on version 20.8 or so.

Guest rich mc

that room is awesome! but having all the materials hanging in bags is off. may i suggest putting them inside a few hand built cabinets by opening the doors it would expose the massive materials when tying but closed could have a nice photo or painting on it. steve probably needs another project to start. rich mc

As Mike pointed out this original thread was from 9 years ago, I've upgraded the rod shop/office/tying room 10 fold since those pics where taken back in 2007.

This is now office / shop version 10.0 lol How it looks currently...

shop1_zps5ohtfahe.jpg

shop2_zpslk1gwnzz.jpg

shop3_zps8zxvphr3.jpg

shop4_zpsuq5rdhaw.jpg

shop5_zpstbpqyjo4.jpg

shop6_zpsydjm2pok.jpg

shop8_zpskqvvbnnf.jpg

shop9_zps5zi0xwgx.jpg

fronts3_zpsdllrrj5l.jpg

front2_zpslejuv4mf.jpg

A&W is where it's at! Steeldrifter, you might tell how much weight you have lost. Easy to fit in the chair now.