Fly Tying
Kayakfish

Registering a Proven Fly Pattern

:yahoo: Hi I have a pattern for a fly that has been proven in several different area locations and would like to register it as someone suggested I do before I give the pattern out to anyone. It is great for Blue Gill, Bass, Crappie, and even catfish have bitten it. Does anyone know where and how I go about registering this fly in case it becomes the hit that everyone around here believes it will be.

Thank you so much for your help and support, I will release this fly pattern as soon as I have registered it so you may fish it as suggsefully as the rest have.

Why do you feel the need to register your fly pattern??

Alot of famous fly tyers have never 'registered' their fly patterns and have graciously shared them with the fly fishing/tying community.

Patenting your fly pattern can be expensive. Extensive research must be made as to not infringe on other patents or even copyrighted flies. Does this fly do things that no other fly does to catch fish!

Most 'new' flies are simply a variation of older patterns with new material.

Just my opinion.

Good Day,

I would agree with the prior two posts. Fly tying is unique in the sense that so very few, if any, flies are ever "registered" or such. If you are looking to get a name on the fly, you might consider submitting it to a large catalog company like Orvis or Umpqua. But then this may also have it's downside. In many cases you will have to submit to a contractual agreement with them which can be a pain in the arse. Another thing to do is to talk to a local fly shop. They of course will want you to supply the flies to them, but at least if you are concerned about it, your name will be on the fly. One of the things that still makes fly fishing and tying so unique is the fact that the vast majority of those who participate are not hung up on such things.

Steelie

You can register the fly with me. Send me a check for $50 and I will file all the paperwork necessary to register your fly.

Thanks

Why are you trying to patent your pattern? When i tie a fly that works well I actually hand some out for free to complete strangers and just ask that they spread word. As far as I'm aware, I have my name to a fly at my local loch. I'm sure most people have a pattern that works and that people know off.

I agree with the rest of the guys, why would you want to patent it? I think the feeling that someone somewhere might be catching a fish with a fly you invented is a far greater feeling than owning a patent or getting money from it etc.

You can register the fly with me. Send me a check for $50 and I will file all the paperwork necessary to register your fly.

Thanks

Hmmm Ill do it for 40!!!

The Orvis/Umpqua route would be the easiest way to legitimize your design and associate it with yourself. A patent or a copyright would involve a lawyer and considerable $. You may want to try getting the pattern published in a magazine.

Thanks

Hmmm Ill do it for 40!!!

Why are trying to undercut me?

I already have a patent on the fly registering business.

Please don't infringe on my patent.

Thanks

:dunno: I didnt ask to patent the fly or make money from the fly, that is exactly what I dont want is for some monetary bum to get a hold of the pattern and go i designed this fly and I want to sell it. I just want to make sure that doesnt happen when I put the pattern out there. I am willing to share the pattern to those willing to sit down and tie it, it does produce a variety of fish, and I am not a fly tying machine, nor do I need the money for a patent. I just dont want someone elese turning it into a money maker when the fly tiers and fisherman are the ones that would suffer. Do you all understand now? :wallbash:

The only way to keep people from making money off a fly pattern is to never share it. Look at the wooly bugger, muddler minnow, clouser minnow, etc. Somebody invented all of those patterns yet almost every commercial tier out there ties these patterns for customers.

Actually, you are asking about patenting your fly. That would be the only way you could try to keep somebody from duplicating your pattern. Even if somebody did, are you going to hire a lawyer and go to court to try to protect your patent?

My advice would be to keep the fly to yourself or share it with the world and don't even give another thought to who is possibly making money off of it.

I kept my fly "Todds Wiggle Minnow" from the world for a long time I actually started messing with that fly over 8 or 9 years ago and it took me about 3 years to start showing it to people and just last year submitted it to Umpqua. If your fly is truly unique and you want to make some money on it start tying it commercially or submit it to a company like Umpqua. It might already be developed by somebody else. You got to remember it is very hard to come up with a fly that is truly original. This sport is very old and alot of flies today are just add-ons of new materials than say a different pattern all together. From the mouth of Lefty Kreh "share" so thats what I did with my fly.

I've tied several "originals" that I use, a lot of them I share, some I'm afraid I'll get laughed off the message board cause they look so crasy...haha. I agree with smalliehunter...if you don't want others to tie it, don't show it to anyone...and heaven forbid that you lose one in the creek and some unsuspecting fly fisherman comes aross it downstream :bugeyes: Personally, if someone wants to tie one of the flies that I've submitted to the database, I'd be flattered!

Take for instance sniksoh.. He put his version of a foam bass popper on here a few weeks ago and that post lit up like a christmas tree because everyone liked it and wanted to learn the technique that he used. He could have easily kept that to himself, but because of him wanting to share his creation with us, we are all gonna catch more fish this year! I've even submitted a couple of variations of his method to the database and named them after him. I hope I did them justice! :D

I have a variation of a well known pattern that I use almost exclusively on the Little Red. I'm flattered when guys say they have used it and caught fish with it. It's so rare when I get it right and I have had so many folks help me out over the years I feel like I'm just paying it forward.

Mike