Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jray

Advise on a Vise

I will be traveling down the pathway to tying my own flies very soon. Can I get some guidance into a first vise. I want to try and keep the purchase under $150 on a first vise. Here is what I've narrowed the field to either the HMH Silhouette or the Peak Vise. Any input is appreciated, and any suggestions other than the Silhouette or peak are also welcome.

That is the million dollar question with a million right answers!

First off welcome to the forum and the addiction we all share. As I know you will get many suggestions from everyone I will try to keep this short. Get the best quality vise you can that feels right when you use it. That does not mean spend a ton, but it does mean don't just buy site unseen on line. I would recmomend you get to a shop that has mulitple models that you can sit and fiddle with in person to see if they fit your hands (as an example I am 6'5" adn have big hands so I need a vise with some room between the jaws adn the vise neck). Once you have checked them out in person then by all means you may be able to get a good on line deal, or may feel better just picking it up in person at the shop.

For what it is worth my vise manufacturer of preference is Dyna King, and they do have some vises in your price range ;)

Redwings is right - that's why most folks don't buy shoes online. MUCH better to try them on first. Most decent fly shops and places like Cabela's will be happy to let you play around with different vises. I would suggest a rotary vise, cuz you will probably eventually end up with one. But it really is a matter of what you're comfortable with. I don't know too many tiers who haven't upgraded at least once. Keep in mind that it isn't the vise that will produce good flies, but rather how you manipulate the materials on the hook. After all, the primary job of the vise is to hold the hook.

By the way, both vises you mentioned are very good quality and would serve you well for many years.

I have had several vices, what i'm using now is the HMH standard and the Regal. The regal is great, squeeze the lever which opens the jaws and insert hook.... no adjustments to make because the regal jaws always remain closed and under tension. The downside (and what happened to me) was I was tying a small #18 fly and didnt seat the hook well in the jaws. The jaws "squeezed" the hook out which pinged across the room which caused the jaws to snap shut and chip a piece off the jaw... still useable but not what it was. I just got the HMH and havent had a chance to use it a lot but like what it's done so far. And yeah, haven't tried one, but i've heard a lot of good things about the Dynaking.

Chase Creek apparently added his comment while I was writing mine. He gives great advice. And he's right, when you get right down to it.... all a vice does is hold the hook so you can work on the fly with both hands. The key is some caq handle greater size ranges of hooks, some are easier to open/close/adjust the jaws, not important if your tying a few flies but very important if your tying dozens. And some hold a hook more firmly than others. Use several, then pick one that your comfortable with.

I recently purchased a Apex Anvil vise. so far no complaints and the price was right. $89.00 for the vise and c-clamp and pedistial base. Lifetime warranty also.

I just started tying last year about March or April so I only can tell you what I know from my trials.

I had one of the cheap vises that some in the low cost starter kits and I found out very fast I didn't like it so I bought a Danvise (can be bought for about $65-$80) which is the lowest cost true rotary and it was a good vise for me then. About December I decided i was not going to quit tying and wanted a better vise so I did all the research I could and listened to different people. Some of which worked at places I was buying materials and my final purchase was a little more than you posted about and a little more than I wanted to spend, but I am very happy with the vise I bought and think it will last many years.

I ended up with the Renzetti Saltwater Traveler with the cam jaw for a $194.00, but I think it went up like $10 more buck since then. I do like it a lot!

Hope this helps,

Skip

Choosing a vise is a very personal experience, kind of like choosing a wife :lol: One size (or configuration) most certainly, does not fit all. Invest a couple of days and travel to several shops and try out every vise you see. I have owned eight different vises and found something that bothered me in each. I think I have finally found nirvana, the perfect vise for me. HMH and Peak are very good vises and will serve you well, just try them out first.

First of all, thanks to all of you. I see by doing some searching that you answer this question on a daily or weekly basis. I have decided to go to my local shop here and try some things out. Also, our local TU chapter meeting this mnth just happens to be on tying, so I should get some good exposure to several vises in a short amount of time. I would like to stay with a more "traditional" type of vise, but who knows. Probably be a DK kingfisher or a HMH.

Once again thanks.

Both the hmh ad the peak are great vises. The peak is a true rotary the hmh is just a rotary. I production tie on my hmh I love it. I plan to get a peak just to play with some day. But I will tie on my hmh forever.

I am brand new to both this forum and fly tying. I am in the process of getting all of my materials to start down this road and did not see the vise I chose mentioned. I ordered a Griffin Ent. Montana Mongoose. After watching many videos online I decided that I would like to start out with a rotary since it seemed to make some of the tecniques much simpler. I did not want to spend a lot of money to begin with but also did not want to get frustrated with inferior equipment that would make learning more difficult. Does anyone have an opinion on this vise? Since I did not see it mentioned I am a bit concerend.

Thanks,

Richard

I am brand new to both this forum and fly tying. I am in the process of getting all of my materials to start down this road and did not see the vise I chose mentioned. I ordered a Griffin Ent. Montana Mongoose. After watching many videos online I decided that I would like to start out with a rotary since it seemed to make some of the tecniques much simpler. I did not want to spend a lot of money to begin with but also did not want to get frustrated with inferior equipment that would make learning more difficult. Does anyone have an opinion on this vise? Since I did not see it mentioned I am a bit concerend.

Thanks,

Richard

Don't think I would be concerned because it was not mentioned here. I am not familiar with that exact vise, but I saw one that is a cam vise and I love the cam style jaw.

Here is a good link to picking a vise and many of them are listed at the top and if you click on them you can read the comments from this article rating vises. The Mongoose is included here.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/

Hope this helps,

Skip

Does anyone have an opinion on this vise? Since I did not see it mentioned I am a bit concerend.

Thanks,

Richard

Don't be concerned. There's so many vises out there, it's like saying I've not heard of the brand of watch you wear. Doesn't mean it's not a good watch.

As for the original poster, or anyone for that matter looking for a vise, I'll just say to get the best vise you can afford. That doesn't mean spend as much money as you can afford, but get the best vise you can, and you'll not regret it. If you're going to skimp, skimp head cement or even thread. Alot of things come and go, but a good vise can last you your life. My Barracuda is going on ten years, and it's just as tight and nice as when I bought it. Alot of good vises are that way.

Welcome, both of you.

Jeff